Electrocute yourself, simple guide.

adam2

Shocking guide, in both senses of the word, as to how to power a building from a portable generator.

I post this as a warning and for entertainment, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER DOING THIS OR ANYTHING SIMILAR

Well aside from the fact that he's a handsome redneck bear, what he's doing is unfortunately pretty common. They usually feed the power into the dryer outlet because it's one of the highest current circuits in the house.

The unfortunate thing is that some of the less capable people don't turn off the main isolator at their DB and backfeed not just some of their neighbours, but also the pole transformer which has resulted in supposedly dead lines becoming live at a few thousand volts. This has caused several deaths of electrical lineworkers, who weren't expecting an unfed line to be live.

Indeed.

I've known a few people who've used this 'trick' in the past when power cuts have been rife across the UK - fortunately all those I've known HAVE been competent enough to a) ensure the main feed breaker is off before they start and b) plug everything up BEFORE starting the genny which in many ways is actually a safe thing to do to get the house running again.

BUT that is not a recommendation for just anyone to try it...

dont linesmen spike to earth any more? thought it was common practise to tie the line they were working on to earth so if someone does something stupid its them who get the surprise,not the poor sod up the pole or down the hole

They used to bond and ground all wires from the source side, but now in some areas it's required from the load side too due to this nonsense and also defective or badly installed solar systems randomly back-feeding onto a dead network.

Archived