Is it a rip-off?

kerry davies

CROSS has an article this month about furious reaction from the new guide to design and operation of scaffolding from NASC. They do sell pocket user guides but only when the full suite of guidance has previously been bought. The non-member cost of the full suite is £995 plus VAT.

This, to me and them, seems a rip-off for something that HSE allegedly supports. Has anyone else out there in the stage building game any further info about exactly what is new or a requirement in TG20-13?

TG20 compliance sheets specify the design criteria for scaffolding including the height to which it may be safely erected, the maximum dimensions to which it must conform, the leg loads its foundations must support and, where applicable, the ties required to stabilise it.

TG20:13 products are sold strictly on the basis that they are NOT FOR RESALE.

I wonder if, like college textbooks in the US, people will start pirating PDFs of the publications...

That was (while still a student), I acquired my first copy of BS7909. My uni hadn't paid for BSI access with their academic subscription.

1446495722[/url]' post='529998']
1446495166[/url]' post='529997']
TG20:13 products are sold strictly on the basis that they are NOT FOR RESALE.

I wonder if, like college textbooks in the US, people will start pirating PDFs of the publications...

That was (while still a student), I acquired my first copy of BS7909. My uni hadn't paid for BSI access with their academic subscription.

We found a way around that during my time. Many local council libraries have a licence to view the PDFs online, but not download them.

History does not record how the "Save a copy" button in the Firefox Adobe Reader plugin interacts with this licence.

Usually, it's BS7671 that is the unobtainable standard, requiring quite exotic additional fees to access online.

TG20:13 isn't coming up as a document in the usual construction indices. Either it's too new or perhaps NASC wishes to try and keep its publication as a means of revenue?

It's a tricky one... we are of course used to being able to obtain just about any piece of information for free from the HSE etc. but the standards organisations and trade bodies work on the basis that this information should be paid for.

I often think of this fact when travelling past this building :-)

http://www.faulknerbrowns.co.uk/thumbs/1100/images/projects/bsi/bsi-building-side-profile-drawing.jpg

Archived