Design Related Gel Question

madferit101

I'm on R3442 and R3202 in the house hang these days. Seems to be working nicely so far. I think that Lee have equivalents. (R3202 is L201, for example.)

That said, on every show I've designed with an open white 90 degree "bosh" I've not really regretted having it, as long as there were other options for fill.

Edit: http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/gel-converter.html is very handy.

My usual warm is L773 Cardbox Amber and my cold is L063 Pale Blue. I know a friend of mines warm is L004 Medium Bastard Amber and cold L725 Old Steel Blue and he swears by them!

Edward

I'm also a fan of L004. When the set/visual design hasn't called for something different, I've also found an open (or almost open) wash straight on with L004 and L202 washes from opposite sides, almost at a 45 degree angle to the stage works well for me.

For the OP; it is, as JSB writes, a personal choice though for me as a touring guy it used to be whatever I have that fits or whatever they have in the box.

One thing I discovered that freaked me (and the audience) right out was one unrehearsed night at the Chicken Shed. I had a jail scene with Malvolio in a steel with bars gobo. No problem one would think except that Malvolio was played by an enormous black actor whose skin turned a lurid purple under the special. Scary!

End of the day? Try it and see, you will find your own favourites.

I'm not a huge fan of the steels for cold, so go to lavenders, usually L053 for cold complemented with L763 for warm.

That said, I'm also a fan of a nice 90deg 45deg from vertical front fill to bring faces back in an otherwise sculpted scene, having achieved my warm/cold with top/back/cross light.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived