beginner starting up DMX moving heads etc

mickeylaa

I do raves and gigs with about 200-500 people small medium halls and want to start buying my own lights what do you guys think of

4 x stagg headbanger 10 7 x 10W RGBW "£135 each"

2x equinox firecracker 2 led strobe "£150 each at 6x10w leds

2x smoke machine + haze machine

a few cans pointing towards the walls etc

still looking at DMX controlers

in the future looking to get 2 x laserworld cs-1000 RGB

what do you guys think? any tips what else I should get etc?

As previously suggested , leave out the strobes and buy more heads for the money.

Headbanger is a 25 dgere beam , need more than 4 for giving a wash in stage for a live performer.

Even the widest eyed cheesy quaver can only take so much full on strobe abuse, just won`t end up getting used that much.If you need them specifically for an event, hire them for a few quid.

1 off reasonable smoke machine should cover it, haze is a different effect, good machines cost more than your entire budget and need looking after, again if need the specific effect hire it as needed.

With smoke want beams, there are some good bright LED moonflower and derby style effects that give the multi beam look.

Laptop control will give you most versatility, most controls will allow you to download the software and play with it before buying hardware, use the time to try them all out and see what you personally get along with.

Decent stands , cables, and transport containers...

What exactly do you mean by gigs? Do you just need funky lights for a rave, or do you need to cover band performances etc?

Much as it's a nice feeling to buy lovely shiny new kit, will the punters notice? There's vast amounts of secondhand kit available at very low prices so you could get much more for your money, if you look in the right places.

Those Stagg Headbangers are surprisingly good for what they are (I've got 12 of them, unbranded but essentially the same units) but they do have their limitations. A little noisy (not an issue at raves!) but the main problem I have with them is that they're the only heads I've ever worked with that only have 180 degrees of tilt rather than 270, which means that if you're hanging them they'll only point horizontally or down, rather than up above themselves (and the reverse if they're sat on their bases). But they're very cheap (although I paid less than half the price you've listed).

Might be worth considering some audience blinder effects of some sort, such as Showtec Sunstrip Actives, or even just some 500w halgoen floods from B&Q etc running from 4 way DMX dimmers (Showtec MultiDim etc).

Oops, the hippy jumped in whilst I was typing. That Argos link goes to the Stagg Headbanger, which are the 'branded' version.

The ones I've got are, well, um, they're unbranded, so there's no model name or number that I know of! Think they're just labelled 'LED wash moving head' or something. I got them from 2 different ebay sellers (both with UK stock so I didn't have to deal with import duty or anything), both of whom I believe were selling the last of their stock. These have been available for a few years now, so the factories have probably moved on to making the latest amazing unbranded potato peeler.

I'd quite like another 12 of them, but I've been purchasing quite a lot of new kit this year so it'll have to wait.

Oops, the hippy jumped in whilst I was typing. That Argos link goes to the Stagg Headbanger, which are the 'branded' version.

...moved on to making the latest amazing unbranded potato peeler.

I'd quite like another 12 of them, but I've been purchasing quite a lot of new kit this year so it'll have to wait.

I have a few directly from China, unbranded with "Wash Lead Moving Head" on side ;-) These: China Wash 7*12W RGBW. If you buy in small numbers, ie one-by-one, they slid thru customns here in Norway fine at no extra expense (Seller, unadviced, always put on sample/gift, and a small sum). They work fine. Had a bit noise from base fan, so I have put in a 120 Ohm/2W in serie there. Fan in head is ok noise (Important to have enough cooling of LEDs). You notice they are copy-things by that the dot in display is not blinking while getting DMX, although text says "DMX Signal". Instead the DMX number blinks. And as all cheap LEDs, they are bad at low intensity control.

Well, not trying to advertise, just telling some of them still haven't started making peelers! ;-)

Regards Kåre Olai

Archived