cleaning up ally truss

splodge360

I've got some 400 mm box truss that's been outside on festivals most of the summer, and now muddy from fields, and sand blasted from being used down on the beach. Was giving it all a jet wash this weekend, but was thinking of spraying it in cilit bang or something to bring it back to its exhibition spec former glory . What's the correct way of doing this? Ta rog

I'd be wary of cilit bang, as it may bugger aluminium.

Alloy car wheel cleaner?

I ride old bikes ( snigger) and do some polishing of engine cases and also some old strand lanterns.

If they are clean, I'd get a tube of solvol aoutosol and try a bit to see how hard it is to get a polish.

Normally, you use an old T shirt type material, run on and polish off, according to the instructions,.

Proper polishing uses a thing like an angle/bench grinder, with various wheels and hard soap like polishes.

I don't see that being a starter on a big run of Truss.

some scotchbrite pads might be handy, and you can buy flexible drive shafts for drills to allow access with a driven small mop.

It is hard and dirty work.

The "damage" may just be skin deep and a quick polish may be all that is needed.

you can buy very large tins os solvol if it works

Autosol great for final finish, for removing intial grime , citrus based cleaners are good for de-greasing, any lemon /orange based type thing like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/degreaser-driveways-convertible-accessories-TheChemicalHut/dp/B004V3QIJY

Mutton cloth AKA stockinette when your supply of old Ts runs out

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stockinette-100%25-Cotton-Polishing-Cloth/dp/B00S9LNZYA

You need citrus based cleaners, Autosol, Abrasive pads, polishing cloths, a jetwash and plenty of elbow grease.

Generally dull truss comes up surprisingly well. Manual polishing won't get rid of deep scratches but will clean off dirt and oxidisation giving you a much brighter truss.

A polishing mop on a cordless drill might be useful but it is often easier to get into corners with just a bit of cloth. Cotton T shirts make good donor material.

It's messy especially as I tend to wash off all solvents/chemicals with copious amounts water but does work.

Archived