Live Real-Time wireless cameras, or phones / iPads

weazel91

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had to use wireless live feeds for a show before?

I have a production coming up which we may look to using wireless cameras for over WIFI.

Ideally what I am looking for is a camera, iPhone, Android phone, ipod , ipad that I can use to stream live video over WIFI into resolume.

I have looked at a few apps but they have a good 2-3 second lag which is too much to use in a live production.

The video size that needs to be streamed is very small as will be on a very low resolution video wall. We are talking 500 x 200 something pixels.

Anyone have any ideas or any input as to what I can do. I'm not fixed to wifi or using the above so all ideas are welcome.

Cheers in advance,

Chris

It's one of those things where if you want it doing properly and reliably you're going to have to go for the proper solutions: Teradek as mentioned above being one option, or VisLink which I've had some really good results with. These tend to use the wifi bands, or near wifi frequencies (you do need a license from OFCOM). Vislink also do a version specifically for GoPros if miniaturising things is what you need.

I know GoPro and the Sony HDR Action cam do stream over wifi with not too bad a lag, I'm not sure if there is a way of actually getting to that stream and inputting it: it's more for lining up your shot.

Simon

I have used a combination of -

IP Webcam app for Android

IPCAM2Syphon to receive and then send on the signal - https://github.com/bakercp/IPCAM2SYPHON

And then Syphon into Isadora (Although this should work just as well with Resolume or Qlab).

It ended up with a lag of about 0.5 seconds. One thing that made a huge difference to the lag was the quality of the mobile device. Initial testing was with a Samsung Galaxy S2 which had horrible latency. We then tried with an S3 and Note 3 which seemed to work really well.

Other Android manufacturers are available :)

I hope that helps.

I have used IPcam a while back but back then seemed very laggy. But as I said that what quite a bit ago. May have improved since then. Will have a look. Ta!

I've tested Airbeam on iOS and Airbeam Pro on a Mac with QLab which was fairly good latency wise as I remember. Airbeam Pro appears in QLab as a camera via Syphon, so should also work with Resolume. I've not used it in anger so can't comment on reliability, but it seemed fine in testing with iPhone 5&6 and an old iPad2.

Archived