How to charge for driving on tour: Canada

mrleemtl

Hi,

I am looking at a 2 week tour in Quebec that will include not less than 70hours of straight driving between venues.

I hate driving, and plan to charge for it, but how much?

What are the standards in regards to this?

My internet searches are comming up empty..

Thanks,

mrlee

Not many members here are directly familiar with Canadian law and general practise.

Thanks anyway. Maybe something will come up.

I have since come across a collective agreement that says .35$ the kilometre, if it is in excess of 80km.

THAT will cost them a small fortune.

Things are far away here...

mrlee

Driving for work is becoming a rigidly enforced legal minefield in the EU and though I am sure you don't actually mean "70 straight hours" the North Americans of the Event Safety Alliance are making great strides. If the ESA Canada is not yet in a position to help then I am sure that the US ESA will be able to help.

As far as charging is concerned then either an hourly rate or fee based invoice is the way to go. Charge as much as you possibly can, then add 10% seemed to work for me.

Regardless of the cost/charging, I'd also consider that 40 hours at the wheel is a fair week's work so you do need to plan to drive sensibly so that you arrive fit for work to minimise the risk of accident at work or on the road.

If this is radial driving from home to venue every time consider booking a hotel once or twice.

If I were you, I'd charge your usual rate x70. Work is work is work.

If it is a travel only day, you charge whatever you charge for a travel day, if it is work plus travel you start the clock with whichever comes first and stop the clock when your day actually ends whether it is travel or work. Milage for your car should be charged at the rate allowed by the local tax collector as a deductible expense for tax purposes. Here in NY State that is $0.51/mile.

Mac

Archived