Smoke/Haze & fire alarms

sleah

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That one gets at least 3 fire trucks comming out, so we have to be careful even with gaffa tape as that will set the detectors off... It's a royal pain.

What do you mean? The usage of gaffer tape, tearing it and sticking it causes the alarm to go off? Or that the system won't let you gaffer over the sensors?

David

No - this is student theatre, which means 9 out of 10 times there is no gel frame for the instrument, so the edges are gaffered to make it stiff, or for the codas, just gaffered to the edge... the smoke from melting gaffa sets em off.

No - this is student theatre, which means 9 out of 10 times there is no gel frame for the instrument, so the edges are gaffered to make it stiff, or for the codas, just gaffered to the edge... the smoke from melting gaffa sets em off.

You are kidding, right? That's one thing you simply do not do!

Especially to Codas - those things get ridiculously hot!

If you genuinely have no gelframes, DO NOT use gaffa tape - Blacktak is about the only thing I'd trust not to be a fire hazard (and it's expensive).

And gelframes are only a few quid each.

Damn well get some - it's a safety issue, and they'll save you money in the long run to boot.

That one gets at least 3 fire trucks comming out, so we have to be careful even with gaffa tape as that will set the detectors off... It's a royal pain.

What do you mean? The usage of gaffer tape, tearing it and sticking it causes the alarm to go off? Or that the system won't let you gaffer over the sensors?

David

!!!! I'm very glad that it does!!!

!!!! I'm very glad that it does!!!

The gaffa we use for it is not flamable - actually, it does not rip well either (it's down right useless stuff) - no matter how hard I try, I can only get it to melt... the stuff we use on the floor is combustable though....

Well if it's generating enough smoke to set off a smoke alarm, then you shouldn't be using it, no matter whether it's flammable or not!

Aside from the fire issue, have you considered the H&S implications of a piece of hot melted tape landing on somebody's head?

• 2 weeks later...

In a nutshell, the fire detection systems appear to be poorly designed, and obviously not fit for purpose.

We have installed detection systems all over the West End for Really Useful and Ambassador TG to a strategy agreed with Westminster Council and LFEPA, specifically to avoid false alarms during shows.

The theatre management need to update their systems ! :angry:

Archived