How to brake a drum rostra...

'Rostra' or 'Riser'?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. 'Rostra' or 'Riser'?

• Rostra
    • Riser

<br />
<br />
<br />Raised a laugh, Stuart. My trainees in the 80's tried a spring loaded effort like that and it worked really well until.... As the drummer got excited and leaped around the bl00dy thing started skipping sideways as his weight came off the springs. <br />
<br /><br />Yeah, I wasn't actually thinking of spring-loading it, but there must be some way of getting the wheels clear that's relatively simple to implement. I suppose there would only be a couple of cm or so of clearance required.<br /><br />I remember a similar incident at a gig in a barn, where an ancient flatbed truck had been reversed into place behind the stage to act as a drum riser. The problem was that the suspension was incredibly spongy, so the entire bed bounced up and down in time with the beat. One drummer complained of feeling seasick by the end of his set.<br />
<br /><br />I've seen compressed air used to essentially create a "hover deck" that glides along.  Took some work and needs a flat, sealed surface beneath it...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Aylesbury Waterside Theatre uses that to move their seating "rafts" around. Video at

Some views of the rafts start at about 4:50. Each raft contains its own blower and they just plug them in as required.

Hi everyone - thanks for your replies; they've been very useful in trying to work out what the he** we're going to do...

I loved the idea of the ground lift from Flints, but they are a bit costly.

Sounds completely ridiculous, but would a some sort of suction device hold it down? Like a plunger that gets pushed down onto the floor at the rear, and then holds it in place?

I'm not sure that suction would be powerful enough by itself (unless you have a compressor running which is beginning to get silly)

Could you use magnets? I'm thinking of the kind that are used to hold doors closed as part of a controlled entry system.

I did a gig at the Bolton arena and there was a huge staircase type steel arrangement to get the punters upstairs ( I think) that was not being used. It connected to a building site type compressor and floated into position.

quite cool.

Our seating sits on pads but uses wheels on hydraulic car type jacks to lower the back wheels.

Once they are let off, the weight won't allow the remaining wheels to roll.

couldn't you have some screw jacks that lift the riser up off the wheels?

Caravan users do something l;ike that and use a cordless drill as the power souce.

something creative with a long drive shaft would allow a leg in the middle of the riser to lift the wheels off the ground

I work on old bikes and quite a few people make their own bench tables using common scissor jacks.

I don't know if relying on a scissor jack alone is safe for a riser but would allow kee clamp type legs to be inserted

Archived