VGA splitting

andy jackson

Does any one know of a device which can split VGA -DE15, cables into I RGB or phono format, purely because of the cost or running masses or VGA cable, as im installing a projector in the grid of a college thatre and they want there to be four different places that can plug into, because of teaching, shows bla-bla. it is purely a cost issue, or alternatively does anyone have the VGA wiring diagrams and are they easy to make? or if it were to be stepped to BNC would the signal carry?!? or have you done a similar thing in your place, were fast approaching mayday which is the only dark time! Any help would be much appreciated.

im not 100% sure, but it looks ok on paper, I want 4 possible laptop/video inputs in different corners of a studio to come together and go to a single projector, I have mapped out all the pieces but its V expensive, I was just wondering if there were any cheap quick ways to do it

Ah right. I'm not sure there is an easy way - well, not if you care about image quality. I suppose the cheapest thing to do is make a 1U patchbay type-thing with 5 VGA ports on and a short VGA link. Probably cheaper than a switcher device, but still lots of cable to run around the room.

that was a similar idea to mine, will go ahead and test it on the ground first! have just got a job as a technician/teacher in a college and the budget is nil, have to argue every time I want bulbs! wil let you know how I get on tho, cheers

try vga over cat 5 , sockets and cable v cheep and patch pannels cheep

ian

You certainly don't want to convert to composite and run over a single co-ax. It'll look rubbish.

I'd suggest running decent quality VGA cables from the 4 areas to a central location, and then using a 4-way switcher/patch, as suggested above.

A mechanical 4-way switcher is probably cheaper than a patch panel - I bought 2 today, and they were less than 20 pounds, IIRC.

One trick that I've used in the past, although it was for a room that only needed 2 PC positions, is just to cable both directly to the projector position, and make sure the projector that was installed had two VGA inputs. Just switch between the 2 using the remote. Obviously you can't do this for 4 inputs, but it might conceivably make cabling easier to use 2 inputs and 2x 2-way switchers. Depends on what sort of projector you have, and the geometry...

Bruce.

You certainly don't want to convert to composite and run over a  single co-ax. It'll look rubbish.

I'd suggest running decent quality VGA cables from the 4 areas to a central location, and then using a 4-way switcher/patch, as suggested above.

A mechanical 4-way switcher is probably cheaper than a patch panel - I bought 2 today, and they were less than 20 pounds, IIRC.

One trick that I've used in the past, although it was for a room that only needed 2 PC positions, is just to cable both directly to the projector position, and make sure the projector that was installed had two VGA inputs. Just switch between the 2 using the remote. Obviously you can't do  this for 4 inputs, but it might conceivably make cabling easier to use 2 inputs and 2x 2-way switchers. Depends on what sort of projector you have, and the geometry...

Bruce.

Could you do it with a KVM? they are cheap and do just that loads of pcs (vga) to 1 monitor...

Could you do it with a KVM? they are cheap and do just that loads of pcs (vga) to 1 monitor...

That's exactly what I'd do.

Make sure you get a mechanical one, or one that has controls on the panel rather than via a hotkey. Connect the VGA through it, and don't connect the keyboard or mouse.

Bruce.

That's exactly what I'd do.

Make sure you get a mechanical one, or one that has controls on the panel rather than via a hotkey. Connect the VGA through it, and don't connect the keyboard or mouse.

Bruce.

If you are doing this make sure you don't get one that's powered from the PS2 port. Mine (a Zonet KVM 3002 - there's a 4 way version about to) can take ethier adapter or power from the PS2 port it's connected to, but isn't supplied with an adapter.

If you are doing this make sure you don't get one that's powered from the PS2 port. Mine (a Zonet KVM 3002 - there's a 4 way version about to) can take ethier adapter or power from the PS2 port it's connected to, but isn't supplied with an adapter.

That's why I suggest a passive/mechanical one and not the active/hotkey type.

Keep it simple.

A db15 4-1 mechanical VGA switch box costs less than 10 quid in Farnell and CPC

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...
that was a similar idea to mine, will go ahead and test it on the ground first! have just got a job as a technician/teacher in a college and the budget is nil, have to argue every time I want bulbs! wil let you know how I get on tho, cheers

try vga over cat 5 , sockets and cable v cheep and patch pannels cheep

ian

As mentioned above Cat 5 is an easier solution we have installed cat 5 all over the venue and using Cat 5 converts available from

Lektropacks

Can accommodate most inputs/outputs simple to use, you need two of each type one being the input and the other being the out-put

WARNING You CAN NOT use them to convert from one format to another.

Have used these for simple radio mics receivers to amps

DVD & video Players back to projection room inputs

Archived