SX300 Pole Mount Socket

warrenstuart

Hi All

Further to my post a couple of weeks ago on how to remove some 35-32mm pole mount adaptors from my SX300s here http://www.blue-room...showtopic=63571 I have since discovered that the pole mount socket is actually 1-3/8" and not 35mm hence the reason they were so tight. I've also since discovered that they are a "very snug fit" to say the least on my 35mm tripod stands... to the point that I have to tip them upside down and sit on the speaker to pull the poles out !!

So my question is does anyone have any ideas for opening the socket up very slightly so that I don't have to fight to get the stands out every time I use them?

Thanks

Warren.

I presume we're only talking about a fraction of a mm to te removed if they currently fit but are tight? That being the case, you could try something like a cylinder hone, but don't run it too fast in a moulded plastic cylinder or you'll end up melting the inner surface instead of grinding it. http://www.tool-net....SKNRhoCx4Hw_wcB

Thanks guys, a cylinder hone I've never heard of before but it sounds like a handy tool to have :-)

The screwdriver handle with sandpaper is a good plan because as with the cylinder hone suggestion I don't want to get the plastic too hot.

I did think of a 35mm hole saw but would need to keep the speed down too.

Warren.

...actually 1-3/8" and not 35mm hence the reason they were so tight.

That's not the problem. The difference between those two is only 3 thou which won't explain the tightness.

All my speakers are a nice loose fit on the stands; loose by more than 3 thou. Are you sure your 35mm stands are really 35mm and not 38mm?

I do have an occasional problem with one particular set of speaker stands and my SXA100+ cabinets, which as far as I can gather are just the powered versions of the SX range so identical cabinets pretty much. It's only one combination of stands and speakers, so to be honest I just don't use them together anymore.

No real suggestions, just wanted to let you know that it's not just you!

We had the same problem with some of our stands on our SX 300's. The simple solution is to get a steel bar 35mm heat it and put it in the speaker pole mount. It will melt the ridges down slightly and when it's cooled a bit give it a twist to remove it. Job done!!

Thanks for all of the replies on this since I last looked :D

If it's a "snug fit", but can be removed with a bit of gentle persuasion - turn upside down and sit on it - have you tried a little bit of lubrication?

Amazing what you can do with a bit of lubrication!!

I always use lubrication... oops wrong forum :huh:

Are you sure your 35mm stands are really 35mm and not 38mm?

Yes definitly 35mm stands.

Is this a specific brand of speaker stands? I have seen stands which are 36-37mm in the past sold as 35mm.

The stands aren't the problem and they measure 35mm o/d

I do have an occasional problem with one particular set of speaker stands and my SXA100+ cabinets, which as far as I can gather are just the powered versions of the SX range so identical cabinets pretty much. It's only one combination of stands and speakers, so to be honest I just don't use them together anymore.

No real suggestions, just wanted to let you know that it's not just you!

That's great thanks, a DJ friend of mine also has issues with his poles and his SX300s and has a right game to remove them.

My stands have been used on 3 different sets of speakers and not had this issue before. Also the powder coating has come off over the years where the stand fits inside the mounting.

I will try what has been suggested on here and let you know how I get on. It's not the end of the world but I'd rather not be fighting with the stands to get them out of the speakers at the end of the night if you know what I mean!

Warren.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Oldradiohand's suggestion of an abrasive flapwheel I purchased a 40mm dia one for under £3 delivered and it's opened the holes up nicely so that the 35mm poles are snug but I no longer have to fight with them to remove them. It took about 5 mins per speaker so it's not too harsh either preventing you from ending up with 40mm dia pole mounts by accident ** laughs out loud ** !!

The 35 - 32mm adaptors that I had to use a bottle jack to remove from these speakers also fit nice and snug too so happy days all around :D

Warren.

Archived