HELP! Behringer DCX2496 usb to serial adapter not working

billy.jukes

Hello,

I've owned a Behringer DCX2496 for a year or so now and have never been able to get it working with the behringer editor software. I do not have a dedicated serial port therefore I have to use a usb adapter. The com port is recognised in the software but when I search for the dcx it can find it. I have tried two types of usb serial adapters (usb - rs232 and usb - rs485) and both have the same problem. Any advise would be much appreciated. I have put details of the system and settings used below.

PC

OS - Windows 8.1

CPU - i5-3210M

Software - Behringer remote software 1.6a

Behringer DCX2496

Firmware version: 1.17

USB to RS-232 Adapter Properties & Settings (Product Link)

Name: USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM1)

Device Type: Ports(COM & LPT)

Manufacturer: wch.ch

Bits per second: 115200

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

COM Port Number: COM1

USB to RS-485 Adapter Properties & Settings (Product Link)

Name: USB Serial Port (COM2)

Device Type: Ports(COM & LPT)

Manufacturer: FTDI

Bits per second: 115200

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

COM Port Number: COM2

Advanced Settings: click here

RESULTS

RS-232

Hardware Setup: PC USB 2.0 or 3.0 >>> USB to RS-232 >>> DCX RS-232 serial socket

DCX Software Settings: Device ID: 1 Port: PC (RS-232)

RESULT: ERROR Could not connect to DCX2496 Check connection when searching for DCX2496's (for picture of error message click here)

RS-485 Port: PC -> LINK

Hardware Setup: PC USB 2.0 or 3.0 >>> USB to RS-485 >>> DCX RS-485 LINK A > TERM On

DCX Software Settings: Device ID: 1 Port: PC -> LINK TERM switch: On

RESULT: ERROR Could not connect to DCX2496 Check connection when searching for DCX2496's (for picture of error message click here)

RS-485 Port: LINK(RS485)

Hardware Setup: PC USB 2.0 or 3.0 >>> USB to RS-485 >>> DCX RS-485 LINK A > TERM On

DCX Software Settings: Device ID: 1 Port: LINK(RS485) TERM switch: On

Windows XP (SP 2) Compatibity Mode (tried for each variation above)

PC Settings: Compatibility Mode: Windows XP (Service Pack 2) Settings: Run this program as an administrator

RESULTS: ERROR Could not connect to DCX2496 Check connection when searching for DCX2496's (for picture of error message click here)

Can anyone see where I've gone wrong? The only thing I can think of is that the DCX is broken unless both the serial adapters are broken however the rs485 adapter work with my DIY DMX512 controller. Any suggestions are welcome. The reason I need this function is so I can eq from the listening position.

There are a myriad of different pinouts for serial cables. Murphy's Law would suggest that yours is probably incorrect. If you have the serial cable that came with the DCX, it's probably the pinout on your adaptors that is wrong.

Unfortunately it's years since I had to connect a DCX via serial so I'm afraid I can't be any more help than that.

If you have to EQ from the mix position, a useful stop-gap might be to EQ from the unit itself, and use a few extra return lines on your multicore so you can have it at FOH?

Maybe you'll get lucky with "real" Windows XP. Some Windows versions are not 100% down-compatible and Behringers software is already at least 5 years old.

Win 7 might catch it but I doubt that, too. (Win 8 is a genuine pain the back anyway.)

So if you could get hold of an older laptop or so with XP **installed** - instead of compatibilty mode - you might want to give it another try, if only for testing purposes.

My 0.02$

Norbert

In the past I have had to go into device manager and then the advanced properties and set the com port to something like com1 or com2... whatever is available.

the allen and heath software for the dr66 system processor, for example, only talks to com1- 4... most usb adaptors I've used start about com11...

First find a computer with a real serial port on the MB. Second find one operating an older OS. Have you read the instructions -even the bit printed on the box where it says "compatible with .......".

Realistically I'm expecting the box to say something like compatible with W2K, ME, and possibly XP. I think you could do worse than an old Dell D630 which has an manufacturer fitted serial port and will run XP perfectly, and if you install maximum memory W7 will run. -these are available from the usual computer fair level of supplier -typically on XP they are about £100, with W7 running they are about £150. Dells only work off their own make of PSU.

In the past I have had to go into device manager and then the advanced properties and set the com port to something like com1 or com2... whatever is available.

Had to do the same to connect via usb>Serial to an older PAT Tester.

Archived