Duracell Industrial Batteries...

Ynot

We've been using the latest stock of Duracells in our radio mics this week - the 'new' orange labelled Duracell Industrial versions. At first I assumed they were simply re-packaged Procells, but the noise boy has commented that they seem to be lasting longer than normal. After 2 shows a day, (at which point for safety we usually change for new) he's still showing 3 bars on the mic packs. He'd normally be getting 2 bars max with the old Procells.

So - anyone else looking to get an extra performance out of them before changing??

I'm not a heavy user of batteries by any means so I'm not qualified to say how well they last in comparison, just to say that I was very impressed with a load of AA Duracell Industrials that I had running outdoor (and hence chilly) battery fairy lights through December. Looks like I paid £12.48 inc VAT and delivery for 50 of them from an ebay seller. (And yes, they were genuine...)

I wonder if the company that owns the Duracell brand is trying to distance itself from the image of Duracell Pro cells that were really not up to scratch.

I think one of the safest things to do with any alkaline cell is to test its voltage out the pack before using it.

I did my own test on a variety of cells a while ago and for me the winner in terms of value and performance was the Fusiomax stocked by Poundland, followed by the "Kodak" Extralife alkaline cells. Easily available and pretty consistent in performance.

As indicated by the charts that were linked to at the top of this post, most alkaline cells tend to have a very similar performance. They are also much less likely to leak than the older zinc chloride cells (Which I think should be banned outright.)

To me the biggest alkaline loser is "Simply Duracell" which sells at a premium price on the Duracell brand but is actually a "budget" cell with lower capacity than normal generic alkaline cells.

We've just started bringing the 'Industrial' into our stock, after YEARS of Procell use. Can't really comment on capacity yet. I know the Industrial range is an out and out replacment for the Procells, and according to our supplier they are now made in a different country. We came to the conclusion that this is to distance Duracell from the many 'knock offs' and fake Procells out there?

I have around 100 out on a show with me this week, so I'll see how they perform! One benefit already is their bright orange appearance - they are much harder to loose in the dark at FOH!

I was informed by our supplier that the reason for dropping the 'procell' brand and introducing 'industrial' was to try and remove the procells from the consumer market where they were not supposed to be - and thus eating into the more expensive consumer 'Duracell' products.

As for the performance, I was under the impression that the Industrial range was not going to be quite as good as the Procells they replace. Perhaps the OP's noise boy was using older stock Procell's - batteries do have a 'best before' date.

Steve

I was informed by our supplier that the reason for dropping the 'procell' brand and introducing 'industrial' was to try and remove the procells from the consumer market where they were not supposed to be - and thus eating into the more expensive consumer 'Duracell' products.

Perhaps if Duracell didn't charge such a ridiculous mark-up on consumer products then they wouldn't find quite some many industrial products in the consumer channel.

I don't think I've used a normal duracell rather than a procell for anything for the best part of a decade.

Perhaps the OP's noise boy was using older stock Procell's - batteries do have a 'best before' date.

:D No chance of that!

We go through 4 or 500 AAs in probably less than 3 months so no chance of stock aging when they're here.

And the performance of the Procells in past experience ahs always been pretty good anyway - have often squeezed 3 shows out of one set as long as they're not on too long... :)

• 3 months later...

As for the performance, I was under the impression that the Industrial range was not going to be quite as good as the Procells they replace.

I had heard exactly the same!

Is there an conclusion on the performance of the new Industrial Duracell batteries?

I have added a limited number of Varta and Energiser (all trade industrial versions) to our sales stock, partly to see what is the most popular. We don't use enough in consistently the same way to be able to really comment on which are 'best' so interested to hear all feedback.

Andrew

I'm using a load of the industrials on a little theatre show this week. Seems to me that they are giving about 1.5/2 hours less overall than the old procells, meaning about 6-6.5 hours use with a senny belt pack system. Not particularly impressed, but as I change batteries every show anyway by no means an issue

I normally use the Varta packs of 500 but gave the new industrial Duracell's a trial a couple of months back so here were my findings:

Varta (20p each) - easily get two shows with plenty of spare when used with the Sennheiser beltpacks or handhelds.

New Duracell (32p each) - again easily got two shows and when left switched on at the end they gave an extra hour compared to the Varta's.

So...yes they do last longer but they wouldn't do three full shows so for my use they weren't worth the extra expense (would be £1.08 per show extra for our 9 packs). I too went off the Procells after several bad batches years ago and can't see a reason to switch back at the minute. The prices above are for packs of 500 from CPC, I know you can get the Industrials cheaper from Stage Electrics for 25p each but unfortunately they are not on works approved suppliers list.

I've got to say, the GP Alkaline's are still my favourites by miles! 15p each if you buy 400 at a time from one of the offers catalogues and I've never had a problem with them. Their life is excellent (As Russ says, I wouldn't get 3 shows out of them, but 2 is easy) and the packs are still powered up after 2 performances followed by a 2 hour get-out plus drive home.

• 3 weeks later...

As Cedd Said, the GB Super Batteries tend to fair pretty well.

They work out slightly cheaper than pro cell.

I know a number of small hire companies who have moved from pro-cell to GB due to Battery life. When you still see two bars of battery and then... Bye!. You know you've been procell'd.

you will get a show out of either! but its always better to get two.

I've used these new ones with some Trantec radio mics and they seem to have a longer life on them. I always change before a new show anyway, but it means for long event days I am not too worried about having to change half way through the day so far!

Archived