LS0H cable mandatory for a school?

Stuart91

A school customer of ours has been in touch looking to buy a multicore. 8 sends, 2 returns, nothing complicated on the face of it. However they've specified that the cable needs to be LS0H / LSZH rated. This is the first time I've come across it being asked for in this kind of context. It seems like the multi is going to be essentially portable, brought out when required and moved from place to place. I find it hard to believe that every extension lead in the school is similarly rated, and I really can't see the benefit, especially since it means that the cost is going to nearly triple.

The school seem convinced that the LS0H requirement is mandatory, I've not pushed the matter with them but I'm doubtful that they could quote chapter and verse of legislation.

Can anyone confirm if there's some substance behind this, or is it just another H&S myth? I don't have a problem supplying the cable if they genuinely require it, but there's a significant cost increase which I'm sure could be more productively spent on any of a wide selection of other needs that they have.

Having a google literly the only 2 things that came up were related to installs and that of computers and networks, which makes sense in that if there was a fire having such cable might be a good idea. I imagine someone has got their wires crossed. Maybe send to H&S mythbusters ?

Typical misunderstanding of what the thing is for. If it's going to be a permanent install, then the idea that all cables on trays and in ducts don't contribute to the smoke hazard is a sound one - but temporary cabling can't be treated the same way - every extension lead, every IEC cable, every mic cable etc etc - in fact, anything that plugs in in the entire building? The snake is just one extra portable bit of kit - in my humble view, of course!

I doubt that there is any requirement for LSZH in a physical sense, BUT if it's a contract term so be it. Just charge for it assuming that LSxx is available in the configuration that you want.

I doubt all their PCs use anything but the included power lead and that being Chinese, may say LSxx but may be anything.

Just charge for it assuming that LSxx is available in the configuration that you want.

Van Damme can do a 12-pair cable, so I'll probably end up giving them that and they get a couple of spare channels.

The job is a one-off sale, rather than being part of a larger contract, but it wouldn't surprise me if they'd misinterpreted or taken a sensible stipulation out of context.

Archived