32mm Pole Mount Adaptors

warrenstuart

Hi all

I have some SX300s with some steel 32mm pole mount adapters fitted for use with some very good quality tripod stands but I want to remove them so that I can use them with standard size stands.

I'm guessing whoever fitted them gave them a bit of a bashing with a mallet or similar as they are wedged solid :-(

I can grip them with my mole grips to the point where the moles don't slip off no matter how hard I pull, twist or turn but the adapters don't move.

I need some "thinking outside the box" help here please :-)

Warren.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z474/warrenstuart/PoleAdaptor1_zpsf1950982.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about something like a climbing wedge or similar? The types that they use for in cracks that expand? Just a blindfolded stab in the dark.

After a quick failed google I now know they are referred to as climbing cams?

Buy some 35mm to 32mm reducers? Sorry, that is a little facetious, but may be the easiest answer.

When you are pulling one side only with mulgrips I wonder if it is trying to twist the collar, thereby making it harder to remove. I am not sure of any easy method to grab it for a clean straight pull though. How much metal is clear of the speaker casing to get at?

Looks like there might be some rusting going on - if that's on the other side, it's hardly going to help.

Tried feeding oil between the adapter & hole?

You really need something that will lock to the adapter and then have decent size bracing to allow you to exert a decent force. Not sure that such a thing exists.

*Very* careful Dremmel work?

Thanks for the quick replies :)

What about something like a climbing wedge or similar? The types that they use for in cracks that expand? Just a blindfolded stab in the dark.

After a quick failed google I now know they are referred to as climbing cams?

Something like that could be an idea thanks, the sort of thing that grips tighter the harder you pull like a rawl bolt.

Buy some 35mm to 32mm reducers? Sorry, that is a little facetious, but may be the easiest answer.

When you are pulling one side only with mulgrips I wonder if it is trying to twist the collar, thereby making it harder to remove. I am not sure of any easy method to grab it for a clean straight pull though. How much metal is clear of the speaker casing to get at?

It's the 32mm reducers that I want to remove so that I can use 35mm poles.

It had crossed my mind that it may need a straight pull rather than from one side but thanks as it's a very valid point.

There is only a few mm sticking up clear of the casing :(

Warren.

I slightly misunderstood.

if using a device like the rawlbolt that expands, don't go too mad.

then either tap the protruding bolt head from side to side, or use something like a lighting G clamp attached to the rawlbolt and screw the other bolt to jack the unit out

I slightly misunderstood.

if using a device like the rawlbolt that expands, don't go too mad.

then either tap the protruding bolt head from side to side, or use something like a lighting G clamp attached to the rawlbolt and screw the other bolt to jack the unit out

Thanks Dave m I like the sound of the rawl bolt with a bit of lube soaked over night first between the adapter and the case.

I'm sure with some of this thinking I'll achieve it... eventually :** laughs out loud **:

What about VERY CAREFULLY heating the metal. Recently had a bolt that couldn't be moved until I'd heated it for a while.

Or cool it down so the metal contracts?

you will have to be very careful with both though not damage the SX300.

If you can't get them out, I thought something a bit like this adaptor, but the correct size would be easy to find, but looks like I'm wrong. Find someone with a largish lathe maybe.....

E2A - Is the hole metal or plastic? If plastic, then I'd avoid any type of oil/lubricant as it could do more harm than good.

Reciprocating saw...

Cut a slot very carefully all the way down the adaptor, you should then be able to bend the metal into the cavity which will reduce the adaptor's diameter.

This assumes you have a) a reciprocating saw b) no need for the spigot adaptor afterwards c) a steady hand

If plastic, then I'd avoid any type of oil/lubricant as it could do more harm than good.

I did wonder about this when I suggested it - especially if soaking in it!

Of course, a water based lube should be safe (as in so many other walks of life... :o )

Of course, a water based lube should be safe (as in so many other walks of life... :o )

I'll just nip upstairs and get some out of my bedside drawer... errm I mean... oh dear!! :huh:

Some great suggestions coming in, I really didn't expect any replies so brilliant and thankyou Blue Room people :D

I would ideally like to get them out in one piece but if it's a toss-up between damaging the adapters or the speaker cabinet then of course it's a no-brainer.

Looks like it's gonna be rawl bolt first try then hacksaw blade if all else fails!

Warren.

It's the 32mm reducers that I want to remove so that I can use 35mm poles.

I understood that, I meant an adaptor that sits on a 35mm pole leaving you a 32mm spigot.

Ah yes sorry I see what you mean now... durrr! :** laughs out loud **:

Archived