Cage Nuts

Andrew C

They look OK for light kit in a fixed installation but for touring heavy kit I shall continue to use old fashioned cage nuts which have never failed me in over 30 years of using them.

I think we've had a previous thread about these. Whilst fine in fixed installations, I suspect they may not fare so well with a 25KG amp bouncing around in the back of a truck.

That's effectively what they say in their FAQ here: http://rackstuds.com/faq/

"Can I transport my rack with the equipment in it if they are being held in with Rackstuds™?

A. No. We’ve tested the studs by simulating a 1,400 km truck journey to MIL specification STD-810G Method 514.6. Subjecting the Rackstuds™ to constant vibration over time will weaken them and eventually cause them to fail. If you must transport the racks populated with gear, ensure that the rear of the equipment is supported. If you prevent the rear of the equipment from bouncing up and down, transportation should not be an issue. See our vibration test video to learn why we don’t recommend transporting a populated rack even if you use cage nuts. Do you really want to subject your expensive IT equipment to that punishment?"

Best investment I ever made (after decades of skinned knuckles and cursing) was a cage nut insertion tool. It looks like nothing but works so well...

Then I retired. Not much call for cage nuts in the kitchen...

Cage nuts are very easy to fit as long as they are the right size for the rack strip, a couple of seconds with a flat head screwdriver and they are in. A solution to a non existent problem, and anyway do you want your expensive rack kit to be steal-able in a few seconds?

Cage nuts are very easy to fit as long as they are the right size for the rack strip, a couple of seconds with a flat head screwdriver and they are in.

Or... get the right tool for the job, and avoid the day when the screwdriver slips and the blood flows...

Only if you are organised enough to not have your three different sizes of nuts all mixed up, so you always have the ones for thinner rack strips when you really need the bigger ones, or those that need vice hands to squeeze them in. I have two rack tools, neither are ever available when you simply want to move up a device one hole to make room for the bit of cable that needs to be at the front.

In all seriousness, I'd rather like these in my studio racks, where they would be very useful, and theft pretty well unlikely. The strength issue is enough to stop them being a contender in a rack that gets thrown around. Useful products though!

Archived