Brightest Gobo Projection

sleepytom

Hi Lampies

I keep getting asked to do video projection for clients who want to put a logo onto a building. Often they don't have enough budget to do it effectively using video projection with good brightness and decent size.

I'd like to know more about the lighting options for gobos. Who makes high brightness lights which can take a gobo? Ideally I'd like something which can run from a smallish generator or standard 13a socket and project a logo from a distance of around 50m.

I know you can put a gobo in a source4 but what are the options for higher brightness?

cheers

have had a fair amount of experience in this area, iv tested a robert J 1200w? followspot with mono gobo against the unbiquitous sanyo xf47, and the sanyo was much more visible with a vastly sharper image and therefor higher contrast, Ive also recently tested a dz21k in a stadium against your big shiny new moving lights whos model I forget and the projector was massively brighter and more visible. the optics in most lighting fixtures simply isnt up to it which is why you get things like hi resolution lenses for source 4s and its not about the brightness, but the contrast which is determined by the focus, Ive still got optikietics solar 575s which are effectively the same optics as a kodak slide projector but with a 575 discharge lamp and they work fairly well as gobo projectors again not because they are bright, but because they are sharp and infocus, but ultimately if its a projected image, it needs a projector whether its digital or analogue.

Now there used to be a 400w version of the Kodak Carousel projector, which was bright, had decent condenser optics and a whole range of good sharp projection lenses. If you can find one "clearance" it may be really cheap unless they become ebayable like PAT23s!

They are 99p and up on ebay so they become disposable if you wish.

I "sold" the last working simda 400w kodak conversion we had for the sum of one gregs vanilla slice, and too be honest I got the better end of the deal, as it was a bit like a normal slide projector that was mildly brighter but strapped to four stage weights so I cant see it ever being worth anything...

Archived