Best material to make Little Shop of Horrors set from

Hi all,

I am about to start building a set for our production of Little Shop. Any tips or advice on what to use to make Mushniks shop? MDF, Hardboard etc? Many thanks.

Whatever material you can afford and have experience in using.

On the two occasions that I have designed and built the set I used standard canvas covered flats, mainly because that is what I had in stock and what I am used to using.

Cheers

Gerry

Depends on budget, Hardboard is going to be pretty good. Thin ply is pretty nice as well. Canvas is good as well. Each to their own. Also depends on your skill set as well.

I would avoid MDF unless you can do a good few layers, MDF is like a sponge.

I would avoid MDF unless you can do a good few layers, MDF is like a sponge.

MDF is normally available in thickness of 2 mm to 20 mm, so why do you need "a good few layers" and in what way is it "like a sponge"?

Cheers

Gerry

One of the best things about MDF is it provides a nice smooth surface to paint. I can't say I've ever found any problems with it acting like a 'sponge'.

+1. I've found 6mm to be adequate for a flat- Although I generally prefer working with ply, MDF gives a decent surface if you need a 'plastered wall' kind of finish!

Wear a mask if cutting MPF A mate who worked in a university fine art dept was not allowed to use or cut MPF or allow it in the building unless it was sealed on all edges

Oh dear, not that old "elf & safety" chestnut.

Have a look at http://www.norbord.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/EURO_MDF_MSDS.pdf

MDF is no more hazardous, and less hazardous, than many other materials.

Cheers

Gerry

Archived