CPC cheap XLR's

cedd

Hi all

Just spent days chasing a problem with a DMX device I've been building. Caused me a fair bit of stress and frustration, plus multiple emails back and forth to the manufacturer of a DMX interface I was using which "wasn't working".

All is now fine, but only after I discovered that the cheap XLR's I'd lashed to it for testing are labelled incorrectly. Specifically I was using AV21560, the blue ones, but I bet the inners of all of this range are the same.

Top and bottom of it, if you look from the pin end, the pins are labelled one way, and if you look from the solder end then pins 1 and 2 are reversed. Can't quite remember which side is correct, but basically, watch out for it!

That's usually my rule. All my regular cabling is Neutrik. I have a modular setup that I use for building control systems up - uses 3 pin XLR with gnd, +24V and a trigger line. I can use it to build switches, audio triggers, mains relays, infrared light gates, all sorts. For this system I use cheap XLR's because they're only carrying DC and are very low use - an interface might get used 10 or 20 times in its' life. It was one of these that came first out of the lin bin when I was prototyping this DMX controller. Won't make the same mistake again!

I have seen this before on cheap connectors - probably simply due to the plastic moulded part being the 'wrong way around' when the pins were inserted.

This would never happen with a Neutrik connector - as the plastic part couldn't be assembled in the connector barrel due to the position of locating lugs.

Either that - or when being 'designed' on a CAD system, after a long Chinese lunch break - ah yes - this is the solder side, or is it the connector pin side???

If you buy a reasonable quantity of Neutrik connectors from a good supplier - I really don't regard them as expensive - and they are properly designed and reliable - making them the best value.......

You say it couldn't happen with a Neutrik, but I distinctly remember a run of Speakons that ended up with incorrect internal labelling getting out on the market a few years ago, something to do with the 4 parts of the die being fitted in the wrong order if memory serves......

At least the cheapies you got didn't MELT when you tried to solder them, seen that on cheap no brand NL3 knockoffs before.

Regards, Dan.

Archived