Arduino and DMX

xllx

So, now I've hung up my suitcase and toolkit for this year, I'm looking for something to keep me busy in the quiet moments of the next couple of weeks.

I keep promising to have a play with Arduino, and thought I might get a DMX shield so I can try it out.

A quick Google finds several different makes of DMX shield available, does anyone have any advice on which one to go for? Are some more reliable than others or have better libraries associated with them?

I don't have a particular project in mind, being able to turn a few LED uplighters on and off is probably my first target!

So if you have experience of programming with both the Arduino and DMX I'd appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Mike

My kids are getting an Arduino kit for Christmas. Anyone fancy running a sweepstake on which month in 2015 I start looking around for a DMX shield to fiddle about with. DMX projector shutter might be first on the list....

Will keep an eye on this thread for when I find the urge to buy stuff to tinker with irresistible.

My experience so far is that the DMX shields are a lot of money for some very cheap and simple parts. It's just doing some level conversion and line driving. 5 minutes with a breadboard and some cheap IC's and you'll have your own. I've just soldered some together on veroboard and they're very easy to do.

There are lots of circuits out there, and you need to make sure it's one set up to receive not transmit, but here are a few for starters;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=arduino+DMX+circuit&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xtSWVMDLJ9XcaovRgqAI&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=918

You'd of course also need some way of addressing it, but reading some dip switches should be pretty straightforward.

So, now I've hung up my suitcase and toolkit for this year, I'm looking for something to keep me busy in the quiet moments of the next couple of weeks.

I keep promising to have a play with Arduino, and thought I might get a DMX shield so I can try it out.

A quick Google finds several different makes of DMX shield available, does anyone have any advice on which one to go for? Are some more reliable than others or have better libraries associated with them?

I don't have a particular project in mind, being able to turn a few LED uplighters on and off is probably my first target!

So if you have experience of programming with both the Arduino and DMX I'd appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Mike

For generating DMX use this library:

Link

I built a simple DMX controller with 8 banks of 96 channels, using a couple of buttons, a rotary encoder, an LCD display and EEPROM as storage, in less than an hour.

• 3 months later...

I've been playing around with one over the past few weeks. I've been trying to make a DMX dimmer switch for our house lights.

I bought both arduino and DMX tinker.it shield from RS fro under £40. I have also been using SimpleDMX library which is quite hard to get hold of, well the new version is anyway. I will try to dig out the link when I get home.

The physical switch part (i.e. using a breadboard etc.) is very simple and straight forward.

I have gotten to grips with the general arduino programming side but at present, I'm struggling with anything other than snap changing the DMX channel numbers or a very easy fade up. There doesn't seem to be many tutorials or advice out there.

I might try to get a simple quick demo of what I've done, posted here.

Mick

Archived