Balloon Drop

Nick LX

I've seen the few topics covering this. Had a few questions:

1) Planning on having four corners of a net tied to kabuki drops and the center of the net tied up. On cue, the four corners will release, releasing the balloons but holding the net. Does this sound like a sensible idea?

2) The balloon drop is above the audience and given the type of venue (think warehouse type) they'll be able to see the balloons. What's the options for concealing them? I guess I could replace the net with some sort of cloth? Ideas?

Thanks

I've seen the few topics covering this. Had a few questions:

1) Planning on having four corners of a net tied to kabuki drops and the center of the net tied up. On cue, the four corners will release, releasing the balloons but holding the net. Does this sound like a sensible idea?

2) The balloon drop is above the audience and given the type of venue (think warehouse type) they'll be able to see the balloons. What's the options for concealing them? I guess I could replace the net with some sort of cloth? Ideas?

Thanks

1. Replace the net for some suitably flame retardent black cloth.

2. Securely fasten the four corners of the cloth, allowing the centre to dip

3. Attach rope to centre point of cloth. Feed through pulleys as necessary to suitable tie off point

4. Fill cloth with balloons

5. Pull on centre rope to raise the dip in the cloth, and empty balloons off the edges.

Ian

I would stick with the kabuki system mate. The rope and pulley thing is a good theatre bodge, but I've seen it jam many times and it's a bit unsightly. The e-kabuki system is far more reliable.

I'm sure if you speak to Blackout they will have probably built a similar thing before and can hire you the parts.

Kabuki only drops things, meaning that you will have to recover the net/sheet from the crowd, If you lift the centre of the net then all stays fastened to the roof out of the way, also you can pull the centre gradually to slowly let the balloons out, if that's what you want.

I'd definitely go with the rope in the middle trick (not bodge). It's tried and tested. I've seen one done every year on a local panto for several performances. Never once seen it jam. What could be more simple than a bit of rope to pull? If you get clever with the ropes that hold the edges then it's possible to drop the whole thing down to the ground to refill just by lowering in a second rope. Keep it simple.

Luckily it's only two nights. My main problem with the rope trick is that it's positioned over the audience and as I said the roof is about 9m high and 20m to the nearest wall. My plan was to suspend the cloth in the middle and have the edges attached with kabuki, essentially giving the same effect as if I pulled the rope. Given the ceiling is so high, I'd have no problem with cloth in audience or anything, and it's right at the end of the show anyway.

There's no need to drop the cloth into the audience. You have several options there... as you say tying the middle of the cloth to the ceiling is perfect. Or you can tie one end to the ceiling and kabuki the other end so it opens like a door - but this is more obtrusive when it's hanging. You can tie a bit of sash to the corners attached by kabuki, and leave the slack hanging, so it's easy to grab the ends and pull them back from the top of a ladder when it comes to 'reloading'.

I've always done it from a truss so reloading is very easy. Whole net on a square truss, kabuki per corner and a scaff bar over the top supporting the centre of the net. Then when you need to reload, bring the whole things down to the ground, fill it up easy as you like and lift the whole thing back up.

use Argon ...... the proverbial lead balloon effect !

you laugh but I once did an event with a balloon drop from a big net at the end... the client had rigged up their own rope release and assured us it would work and we need not worry

the net was fine, only problem was the client hadn't told their balloon supplier what the effect was, and the supplier sent helium filled balloons. The net came way and the balloons just stayed stuck to the roof!

Archived