Monitor DMX

diacong

Dear all,

Can you suggest a way to use a PC to observe the output of a lighting desk. Every 6 months I need to program a show but due to limited venue access time I need to do this at home. Because of the interval between the shows I have in effect to learn the process from scratch each time. My problem is that I have no way of checking that I have done it correctly and I usually don't manage it the first time!

It would be really useful if I could plug something into the desk's DMX output and connect it to a PC so that I can see on screen the output of each of the desk's 24 channels. Is there anything that will do this or something similar?

Thanks for your help.

Graham

Thanks David,

A full blown visualizer is probably more than I need. A 6 x 4 matrix of on screen bar graphs would be more than adequate to get the basic settings stored in the desk and then I can refine them once I get to the venue.

I've seen plenty of USB in to DMX out converters advertised but have been unable to find a DMX in to USB out one. Do they exist?

I should have added that I'm using a Behringer LC2412 desk.

Graham

The enttec pro dongle does DMX in. DmxKing make a knockoff that does the same. I think Enttec offer a free, basic DMX monitor in the utility software for the Pro?

They do but it is just a matrix of all 512 channels in little boxes. No bargraphs etc. Very basic

Dave

Dave

Might be a silly suggestion but have you considered something like a 0-10V demux connected to a rack of 10V filament lamps? (current allowing).

We use a pair of Sunstrips (10ch each) to demonstrate simple DMX channel control sometimes to students, two of those would give you 20 channels for test purposes but cost may be too much.

Dave

Might be a silly suggestion but have you considered something like a 0-10V demux connected to a rack of 10V filament lamps? (current allowing).

We use a pair of Sunstrips (10ch each) to demonstrate simple DMX channel control sometimes to students, two of those would give you 20 channels for test purposes but cost may be too much.

That was going to be my suggestion, but using LEDs.

Get busy with a soldering iron :D

This has set me thinking - I have an RS-422 to RS-232 converter in a drawer at home. DMX is RS-485 IIRC which is close to RS-422 isn't it?

I wonder if I could hang my converter on a DMX cable and read the signal in through a COM port and display the data on a screen.

RS422 is an "in and out" version of RS485 (which is a single wire multi-drop system) but the electrical levels are the same.

It would work electrically but I don't think you'll be able to set a com port to 250KBaud.

Back in the darker dark days I used to write interrupt handlers in assembler to squeeze the last ounce of performance from the serial port

Me too, even then you couldn't do 250K. I don't think the hardware can do it even if you could bludgeon your way through layers of windows abstraction.

Hi

You say that you are using a LC2412 - I can understand why you want a visualiser - I have one of these too because beggars can't be choosers!

I made my own visaliser by getting from ebay a 24 channel 1A RGB LED DMX decoder/driver. Bare boards are about £20-25 delivered from china (2-3 week delivery, no import duty/VAT due to low value). On each output channel wire a small (12V 50mA) wire ended filament lamp. Put it all in a box with a small power supply and the job is done. Use tungsten lamps instead of LED's because it is easier to see the relative brightness of each channel. No need to drag around an expensive, fragile laptop PC.

Peter

Archived