DMX Dimmers

sleepytom

Hi

Firstly I'm a video guy really, so sorry if this is a very basic question!

Can anyone recommend any DMX dimmer pack which has a lot of channels of dimming - each channel doesn't need to be very high powered, but I do need a lot of them. I'm looking to be able to create chases across a load of 60watt filament light bulbs, all of which will be running at a maximum of 25% brightness.

This is for a night club so they do not have a massive budget, also space is at a premium so I'm looking for something that fits as many channels as possible into a small case.

cheers

tom

Nothing really springs to mind, but note that depending on exactly what chase you are doing you may not actually need that many channels.

For example you could use say a 4 or 6 channel pack running every 4th (or 6th bulb) in parallel up to the limit of the rack, very common thing to do with 4 runs of festoon cable.

Regards, Dan.

NJD DPX-12 if you can find any. 12 channels in a box at around £10/channel.

[E2A]

Looking around, if you're buying in quantity, it looks like you'll be able to buy run-of-the-mill unbranded 4-channel packs for around £40.

If the intention is to use 60 watt lamps at a much reduced output, they will still use nearly 60 watts each, and the dimmers should be able to supply the full 60 watts per lamp.

With say 100 lamps that needs a total dimmer capacity of about 6KW, and it certainly cant* be worked from a 13 amp socket.* It might be better to use 25 watt lamps, not on full but nearly full. The reduction in dimmer capacity, cable size/cost, and heat production would be worthwhile.

*unless of course only half or less of the lamps will ever be lit at the same time.

Has someone perhaps been watching the NT's production of Frankenstein? Their ceiling of lightbulbs is spectacular; LEDs will never look as gorgeous as gently glowing tungsten. More details here; they used the very dimmers that Brian suggested.

Archived