Flying a person

adonex

Rather close to me is a really super school, with brilliant facilities, excellent staff and a decent range of performance types. There are also within the same travelling distance maybe 22 other places that are firmly at the other end of scale. 1 in 22 really isn't very good, is it?

Flying people is one of the few areas where even the professionals mess up badly. Remember the Krankies in Jack and the Beanstalk?

I'm not saying this job does have the money. I'm just saying I don't think the attitude that schools cannot have money is the right attitude to take.

Also I think posting options that may not be applicable to the OP isn't the stupidest thing in the world as it helps create a resource that others can read to help answer their own questions.

But I am against this concept that I only work with elite schools and therefore all my views are twisted. This is not the case and many state schools are also blessed with nice theatres and theatrical staff. If they don't want to hire you and you only get work from those that don't have the facilities or staff, don't see that as an opportunity to have a crack at me for living in some kind of silver spoon dreamland where things from the real world don't apply.

Hi guys...Just to clear everything up. The school does have a decent budget but we would rather spend that on set. My plan now is to have a black wooden platform at the back of the stage that the actor will step on to via treads that will quickly be taken backstage by a member of crew. I will have her face lit and nothing else (I'm a lampy so flying is not my speciality) and when she is going to rise up I will light the dry ice we will be using with led pars at each side of the stage...should give a decent enough looking effect...any other options for her to actually lift up would be good. We are talking like half a meter here, gents. H&S http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

...any other options for her to actually lift up would be good. We are talking like half a meter here

Do you have dancers? Choreography? Assuming you're not in the market for for a 'comedy' effect, I'd be tempted to suggest something balletic. One or two male dancers in tasteful black to lift and carry your female singer, her tightly lit and them in the dark as far as possible. Of course there's no way to make them invisible to the audience, but no real need to either.

Or I may be talking rubbish. Art innit, definitely not my area of er.. expertise. ;)

Best of luck.

Do you have dancers? Choreography? Assuming you're not in the market for for a 'comedy' effect, I'd be tempted to suggest something balletic. One or two male dancers in tasteful black to lift and carry your female singer, her tightly lit and them in the dark as far as possible. Of course there's no way to make them invisible to the audience, but no real need to either.

+1 for this suggestion.

One added advantage is that it actually gives the cast a challenge to tackle and rehearse, if you're looking for a learning experience for them, this is a good one. Far better than the singer just standing on an artfully disguised scissor lift singing the song as before.

Far better than the singer just standing on an artfully disguised scissor lift singing the song as before.

Accompanied by "bleep, bleep, bleep, bleep" as they descend in the ensuing blackout...... :-)

Whilst I agree with the sentiments that it's not the right tool for the job in this circumstance, the discussion about a counterweighted arm reminded me that QDivision own one. Just so people reading this can see what people were on about;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-I-wKRoNk

Far better than the singer just standing on an artfully disguised scissor lift singing the song as before.

Accompanied by "bleep, bleep, bleep, bleep" as they descend in the ensuing blackout...... :-)

I hope it was obvious that I was not suggesting they use a bright blue plant type scissor lift in this role!

Theatrical scissor lift!

Agh, I think I've had that before with their videos. Guess it's something to do with the way they've got their page set up.

They build all sorts of incredible stuff, though as ImagineerTom rightly states, there's a lot of clever engineering and thought gone in to that piece of kit. It was posted more for the sake of "here's what people are talking about" and possibly even "these guys have one you can hire if you need one" rather than "have a go at building this"!

Archived