Ladder up to 2m platform any safety guidance

ahou1

Hi I am designing a set for rent and want to have a useable ladder up to a 2m high platform. The platform will have railings wherever there isn't an exit (stairs and ladder)

I am planning to just have a ladder that comes to the platform height - that can be used to enter and leave the platform. So there will be railings to hold onto as you exit and enter the platform -

Should this be ok - or is there anything else I should be doing at this height ?

Any advice appreciated !

Thanks

Alison

( holds breath while waiting for somebody to come along and say Risk Asses it)

Is it a vertical ladder or an angled one?

I think personally that what you've described is ok. Somewhere to grab onto while getting on / off the ladder is a must. Make sure your handrails are strong enough to take this (and somebody actually falling against them).

Concider some form of gate at the top of the ladders - think actors stumbling around in an unforeseen black out.

Train/ show your actors (and SM) how to climd the ladder correctly. Go down backwards, proper hand holds etc.

Check footware for slippyness and concider adding grip tape to the ladder rungs (particularly if they are round rather than square).

T

I thought it was going to be this one Roderick

Ladder safety instructor not being very safe.

OP I would probably go for steep steel steps rather than a ladder per se, the type with flat rungs not rather than tubes as in a ladder, and some basic handrails each side. Something like this

http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/ships_ladder/images/with_opening_hatch_ladder.jpg

I agree an inwards-opening gate at the top should be on the 'must' list, else you're playing with fire! In terms of visibility, you can get reflective tape like road signs are made out of for the edges of the treads, with grip tapes on the main tread, this should make it easier on footing in the dark. An alternative (or indeed additional) and very neat option would be some low power LED tape down the inside of the down-stage side... this would be invisible from the audience but should just give enough light to see the treads. Getting red tape might better it still, in terms of reducing what the audience can see

Thanks

I wS going to have the ladder vertical - but a little angled would be ok (it's meant to look like the fire escape

The height was what I was in two minds about - either to the platform or 3 feet above as you say - either way there would need to be a gap to get on/off the ladder.

So A gate of some sort at the top that us only opened when it's actually being used seems a good addition - as I was planning entrus up it and exits down it - I'd have to make that releasable from both sides - but I reckon that might be possible - or just slightly more open railings over the ladder entrance perhaps that could be ducked under to a ladder just up to platform

Anyone else done this ?

Thanks for the comments

I expect to have to do a risk assessment and do all the walk throughout etc - but I'd like to try and stArt with the safest design ! (Like the square steps and grip treads as part of that )

Alison

I should add the ladder will NEVER be used in the dark - firmly secured top and bottom to steeldecks

I thinK the inward opening gate with a vertical ladder to the platform - with sturdy handrails at the top, ladder with square steps and gripper is where I am at so far.

The height was what I was in two minds about - either to the platform or 3 feet above as you say - either way there would need to be a gap to get on/off the ladder.

I would have a ladder up to the height of the platform, and handrails which go another 3 feet - if they go up facing the ladder, and a ladder that goes an extra 3 feet if they go up with their back to the platform, through a trap.

So A gate of some sort at the top that us only opened when it's actually being used seems a good addition - as I was planning entrus up it and exits down it - I'd have to make that releasable from both sides - but I reckon that might be possible - or just slightly more open railings over the ladder entrance perhaps that could be ducked under to a ladder just up to platform

Personally I would go gate, whilst it is for theatrical use it is still a work platform so that priority is safety, whatever device you use should basically meet handrail specifications when closed. The benefit of a gate is it can incorporate a toe board. You could do a duck under - but it might want a sliding mid-rail (Slide mid-rail up, duck underneath) but you would still need to risk assess need for a toe board. Gates are just good for incorporating the handrail, midrail and toeboard into a single component which can be swung out the way when the ladder is in use.

Archived