CE Mark on staging

Stuart91

Some customers of ours are taking some staging decks into their local municipal hall, to build some simple risers.

Apparently their contact at the council has asked them to provide evidence of CE conformity. This is a new one to me - I've never had anyone ask the question before.

Wikipedia gives a list of products that are affected by the CE marking directives, and it doesn't appear that staging is included, unless it somehow qualifies as a "cableway".

Is this just a case of an inexperienced council person misinterpreting rules, or have I overlooked something?

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

From the "Blue Guide", which is the official EU published guide to CE conformity...

Is CE marking mandatory, and if so; for what products?

Yes, CE marking is mandatory. However, only the products that are covered by the scope of one or more of the Union harmonisation acts providing for CE marking shall be affixed with it in order to be placed on the Union market. Examples of products that fall under Union harmonisation acts providing for CE marking are toys, electrical products, machinery, personal protective equipment and lifts. Products that are not covered by CE marking legislation shall not bear the CE marking.

Go back to them and point out that staging is not covered by a harmonisation act and therefore it would be illegal for it to carry a CE mark.

Archived