Looking for a "meta" moving head fixture

Manuel1975

I don't really understand why you need this magic fixture with every possible parameter. You should be able to build palettes which cover most eventualities by merging information for a few select fixtures.

The original question was about colour palettes and swapping between CMY and RGBA,

If you build your show using palettes with CMY programmed in, then you go to a venue with fixtures which use RGBA, why can't you just update the palettes to include the RGBA equivalent colour? You'd only need to do this once.

(I'm thinking of Avo Titan here where the parameters would exist side by side in the palette, but I think other consoles would work the same way).

If the issue is basically problems morphing between CMY and RGBA, I would just double up the programmed fixtures to include both types on different universes. Just because the desk is "controlling" fixtures doesn't mean they have to exist.

I've done similar when there is the potential to meet washes OR spots that I need to do similar things, but nuanced to the fixture type.

I'm totally lost - time to duck out, I fear. I use metadata in images, but this seems to be something totally and utterly different. Maybe somebody can explain it in a way that makes some sense, because frankly - this explanation has made it worse.

He's after a fixture personality for a fixture that doesn't exist, but contains all the parameters of all other lights, because he can't find a fixture that does exist which works like a Mac 700 (discharge profile spot) and a Robe 100 (led beam light) at the same time.

Proper palette programming would be the normal solution...

Agreed, proper palette programming is the answer here.

You won't be able to find one fixture that does the lot. But that doesn't need to be the case. Add 3/4 different fixtures and program those. Make sure you have CMY, RGBAW and 2 colour wheels then you should be ok.

The problem is, some desks (not all, and maybe not even Chamsys) have trouble with parameter references. For example, the references for a parameter have to be there BEFORE a clone takes place. You can't simply add them later. So all of your pre-programming needs to include all possible data for a potential clone down the line.

Even if you program the extra parameters like AW, colour wheel 2 etc as 0% in all of your palettes, it doesn matter. It's the fact there's a value and reference there for them, that's the important thing. Then you can update your palettes just fine.

Thanks.

I always thought updating your "amber" palette in whatever way got reflected in programming using that palette with the Chamsys, but I know as an owner of a Hog 4, that I programme with custom fixtures where the show will need to cloned/morph/fixture swapped, CMY + Amber and white channels, 3 gobo wheels with rotation, whatever you think you may encounter on the road, the Hog is not too strong in dealing with lights not with the same range/sort of parameters as it's based on real world values.

I see no harm in creating custom fixtures to program with, at least you are getting some values in programming that might come in useful, personally I do prefer a desk to refer to a palette however it is updated, but I do find some do it better than others.

Archived