Behringer X18 - where next...

S&L

just to put all this app stuff to bed - behri have stated in the press that they intend this product (like the x32) will not be OS specific. they have designed the space for the tablet to sit other devices (supposedly) BUT as Alec said they haven't done a pre-release of an android version and though they have made the architecture open for the x32 they haven't developed any apps for andriod - though in their defense they have developed drivers for linux, apple and pc formats. from what I read the mixing station (3rd party) app for the x32 is more friendly and stable than the ipad and behri software combination.

I read a story last week - a guy in the states got so hacked off with the ipad control of his x32 rack that in the break from a gig he went across the street to wallmart, bought a galaxy tab, downloaded mix station and has never looked back.

I guess my points are:

1. don't moan about a product that isn't released yet before all the facts are in

2. don't expect this to be the x32 - it will be very stripped down at best - it has to allow the x32 a space in the market AND beat the competition of the mackie and umix to succeed in the way behri want it to.

3. don't underestimate the ingenuity of engineers - someone will write a 3rd party android app if the OSC parameters are made variable as per the x32 (that's my limited understanding of how the mix station worked). I'm pretty sure apps like this could be written for other consoles and platforms but the x32 is the model that has finally shifted enough units to move someone to write a 3rd party app. I would imagine a similar thing may happen with the x18 - though they are coming to market late - I guess it depends on price.

And of course the X Air app is only for iOS.

Where's the Android App ?

It's not just Behringer; Allen & Heath, Soundcraft and other do it as well. Only on iOS.

Sorry, some of us don't have iOS, so why should I buy your product ?

The short answer is that it's a hell of a lot easier to develop and test an app for iOS. One platform (basically), that's it, verses the huge myriad of Android device out there.

If you haven't got an iOS device just buy one that lives with the desk, factor it into the purchase cost. Nobody is forcing you to use it for anything else...

• 2 weeks later...

B don't need to make an Android app, as the Lad who's doing it on his own is doing a nice job of it.

One can get a nice deal on a used iPad from someone who always must have the latest thing (and there's a new one coming out soon).

Archived