HK Lucas Nano 300 vs a conventional system

Rob_P

Hi,

A friend works as a burlesque performer, including singing (headset radio mic). It is mostly 1940s style music, so no block-rocking beats. I generally provide her with a PA system, but she has asked me to recommend a small PA for smaller performances that can't justify me providing a complete system. Budget is, of course, limited, but I don't want to set her up with something cheap and nasty!

My first thought was an HK Lucas Nano 300, on the basis that it is simple to use, very light, quick to set up, and just about in budget. However, as is the rule with these things, the requirement immediately started to drift towards slightly larger gigs, small marquees, etc. My only experience with a Nano is with keyboard players using them as monitors, and they seem to go quite loud. However, I have concerns about their suitability for this sort of thing, especially if there is background noise etc.

My first question, therefore, is "Am I doing the Nano a disservice by assuming that it wouldn't be man enough for the job?"

The obvious alternative is a pair of 10" active speakers and a small mixer. I have heard very good things about the Alto Truesonic TS112A actives, and note that they have now released a TS110A model. Considering that a pair of these can be had for less that the Nano, should I just give her a lesson in PA setup and recommend those, plus a tiny mixer, instead?

Any thoughts very much appreciated!

Thanks.

I have a couple of TS110As (mostly used for monitors) and recently loaned them out with a Mackie 1202 and one mic to my local Scouts District Commissioner as a "PA" (in the proper sense of the phrase) for the St Georges day parade. He was absolutely delighted with their performance and ease of operation (he is not a muso). They're very light too, highly recommended.

I haven't tried the HK Lucas.

Thanks Sam. Sounds promising!

I suppose the obvious answer would be to loan her my pair of SRM 350s and see how she gets on.

It will be interesting to compare and contrast the Truesonics against the Mackies anyway.

Rob

A single TS110A weighs a little less than the Lucas full system and is 3dB louder. Not much in it and a full Alto system would be more than twice the weight of the Lucas 300 but in several boxes. The SRM350 is 3kg heavier and a couple of dBs less output than the TS110-A so if she's happy handling the SRM350 the Altos should prove pleasantly lighter. HK only recommend the Nano for up to 50 people, my experience of the Altos suggest they'd provide adequate levels to significantly more than that.

A mate has just bought a Nano for his marquee company and uses it for speech, backing music and acoustic type duos up to about 100 seaters. He loves it but if you are concerned about raucous crowds or DJ work then it isn't suitable. They cut like a knife so should do well for a solo performer at weddings and the like but they will never be "trouser wobblers".

The real advantage is the simplicity of use and light weight. The only sensible response is to try various set-ups out with the artiste concerned. It doesn't matter what is better if they can't use it. Worse if they don't like it.

Declaration; I am a fan of HK kit. Some people don't like their clean sound since it can expose any GIGO.

Archived