Playback Laptop / card for Theatre advice

GC1971

Hi all,

I need to get another playback laptop, and could do with some advice.

Nothing fancy required, it will be running Multiplay live, Audacity and various Offline Editors.

I also need advice on a card. Ideally both a 2ch and an 8ch option.

Budget is unknown, (sorry); it's whatever's left of the budget.

I assume any old laptop will do, -or is there a particularly good audio card in a laptop you know?

Thanks a lot,

GC

Hi all,

Nothing fancy required, it will be running Multiplay live, Audacity and various Offline Editors.

I assume any old laptop will do, -or is there a particularly good audio card in a laptop you know?

Thanks a lot,

GC

For sound output, I wouldn't even consider using an onboard sound card, regardless of how good it may seem. Choosing an external usb/firewaire is going to be the best option.

Thanks. Thought as much.

Do you have any recommendations?

Ta

GC

Sorry I don't really. I only have experience of Maya44 USB (first version!) whih was 4 in 4 out on phono and ESI (something or other, looks same as Maya44) that just has 8 outs on phono. Both have been replaced with newer versions which I've not seen 'in the flesh'. Also might be an issue being on phono so not balanced?

For a cheep (about £110) and cheerful 8 output card the ESI Gigaport HD seems to be well regarded. I have been using one for several years with absolutely no issues. The sound quality is great, although the outputs are on RCA plugs so unbalanced, and there are no inputs.

The version that I use has now been replaced by the HD+ version, but this looks like the same thing repackaged.

For a cheep (about £110) and cheerful 8 output card the ESI Gigaport HD seems to be well regarded. I have been using one for several years with absolutely no issues. The sound quality is great, although the outputs are on RCA plugs so unbalanced, and there are no inputs.

The version that I use has now been replaced by the HD+ version, but this looks like the same thing repackaged.

Thank you. All inputs would be DI'd anyhow, I can't guarantee someone won't hit Phantom..

I'll look into that one.

Any others peeps?

Second the advice to steer clear of the headphone socket. I use a Focusrite Scarlett - there are several in the range with different I/O options. My only irritation is the big volume knob on the front - might be useful in some circumstances though.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot,

GC

For sound output, I wouldn't even consider using an onboard sound card, regardless of how good it may seem. Choosing an external usb/firewaire is going to be the best option.

I would look an an audio interface with jack outputs. I would also suggest using stereo jack- jack cables.

here is one I like

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface--90034

Also dont set it as the default audio device as it will then play system sounds out of it. Go into the settings of each program and set the selection manually.

Hope that helps

Also dont set it as the default audio device as it will then play system sounds out of it.

Disabling system sounds should be one of the first things you do on a show computer...

I assume any old laptop will do

Out of interest - what leads you to that conclusion?

As long as the physical buttons work, the screen turns on and it has enough RAM / processor oomph it'll do. It's the sound card that I'm more bothered about. Maybe that's wrong?

I would look an an audio interface with jack outputs. I would also suggest using stereo jack- jack cables.

here is one I like

http://www.dv247.com...nterface--90034

Also dont set it as the default audio device as it will then play system sounds out of it. Go into the settings of each program and set the selection manually.

Hope that helps

Thanks. I wouldn't mind any connector to be frank. It doesn't matter to me, it's all isolated and balanced pre-desk.

System Pings.. gotta love system pings as much as text msg alerts.. ;)

As long as the physical buttons work, the screen turns on and it has enough RAM / processor oomph it'll do

Ah - OK

It's just "any old laptop" could have covered a 486sx found in the back of the cupboard with a single USB 1.0 socket (that wobbles a bit) and, as you've clearly grasped, you do need to set the bar at some sensible level.

As long as the physical buttons work, the screen turns on and it has enough RAM / processor oomph it'll do

Ah - OK

It's just "any old laptop" could have covered a 486sx found in the back of the cupboard with a single USB 1.0 socket (that wobbles a bit) and, as you've clearly grasped, you do need to set the bar at some sensible level.

Yep, I should have said any old new laptop..

Archived