Playback Laptop / card for Theatre advice

GC1971

I've had coolpro running on a 286 - it'd just about play three tracks at a time! If stereo in/out is all you need and there's little money I'd recommend the Behringer usb card. I've run shows using this and a £200 netbook (origilally purchased to run DMX to control xmas lights!) with audacity for the editing and an obsolete playback system (Win 98 but works on XP) "borrowed" from a well known broadcaster. Great, as long as you remember to plug the psu in......

I have this 2-channel unit:

Tascam US-122

and it works very well - and it's on special offer at the moment.

I'm using it with a Lenevo Thinkpad, which is a business machine with a nice, NON-reflective screen! Running Audacity, SCS, Adobe Audition (V1.5 - I much prefer it to the current Adobe-ised version)

Another vote for the ESI Gigaport HD. Very neat little unit. Bus powered. I've actually fastened mine to the back of my PC (all in one touchscreen) as it's so neat and small.

I also bought an 8 way phono - jack loom, chopped off the jacks and fitted XLR's. Very easy to do and whilst they aren't balanced outs, the XLR's at least mean I can go straight in to the desk.

I also own a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 which is also very good, but it's a bit of a lump to say it's not got that many outs, whereas the ESI has 8 and is only just bigger than a pack of cards.

Okay, let me be the boring old pedant here and say I'd never, ever recommend the use of unbalanced connections in a live situation where you have no control over things like noisy dimmer circuits.

Given that, why say "all outputs would be DI'd" when for the cost of an interface and 8 DI boxes you can probably get an interface with balanced outs.

For the two channel box, may I suggest the Lexicon Alpha--a good sounding and reliable unit.

For the eight channel system, the Behringer FCA610 looks like it will do the job though I haven't personally used one.

However, you haven't mentioned recording. If there's any chance you'll ever want to record 8 channels (and I'm always being asked to record shows--and sometimes they even have copyright arrangements so I can!--so you might want to consider an interface with multiple inputs. For this, it's hard to beat the Tascam US-1800 as a cost effective solution.

Finally, let me second (or is it third) the recommendation of the Focusrite range. They have basic 2 channel devices up to more than enough for your needs and are excellent--but in a higher price league to the ones I've mentioned.

One other thought on the "any old laptop" discussion...

"Yes and no."

Simple playback (as opposed to mixing with effects) actually doesn't need much processor power from a computer so, in this regard, you're right that you can use pretty much any laptop.

However, what's important is have a nice "clean" laptop without lots of junk software running in background. Things like wifi and antivirus software can be very dangerous to have running at the same time as doing sound live.

In the past I've actually purchased a cheap, second hand computer, re-formatted the HDD, done a clean install of Windows and only installed my playback software, a simple DAW for editing, a CD ripper, and the latest drivers for the sound card(s) in use. Worked a treat with never even a hint of problems.

I have been using MacBook Pro laptop for sound. On mac there I have QLab 2 for audio/video and RME Totalmix FX with RME Fireface UCX soundcard ( I can use it with USB or Firewire).

It has 8 analog inputs and 8 analog outputs. RME is bit pricey but sound is good. Only problem I have with mac is there is no audio mixer to mute only the system sounds and safari and still have the ability to use iTunes.

Only problem I have with mac is there is no audio mixer to mute only the system sounds and safari and still have the ability to use iTunes.

In the sound control panel go to "Sound Effects" and select "internal speakers" then set the volume to zero. Go to "Output" and select you audio interface.

Mac

Archived