Chamsys MQ40 for theatre?

vinntec

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one of these add a linux distro and plug in a wing, job done.Id even go as far as saying you dont need a maxi wing,everything that apears on the screen can be stabbed with your finger or stylus

Hi MH - do you have one of these running MagicQ under Linux, as one of the problems is trying to figure out what will work and what will not (touch screen-wise)?

To be honest I had a PC wing and would have quite liked some of the extra buttons on the maxi wing.

Then again the same money gets you an extra wing which means 10 more faders. Now maybe for multi-purpose venue use, one might prefer an extra 10 faders plus all the other PC based benefits, over 10 faders bolted to the computer in a single box...

To be honest I had a PC wing and would have quite liked some of the extra buttons on the maxi wing.

im the oposite,bought the pc wing then realised I could have got a mini wing as all the buttons are already on the touch screen

im the oposite,bought the pc wing then realised I could have got a mini wing as all the buttons are already on the touch screen

Really? I think that's one step a bit far, the mini wing doesn't have encoders and using encoders on the screen as not as easy as using them for real. There is a reason nice big wheel encoders got invented and on a touch screen it's just not so easy to use, especially doing quick programming on the fly.

As I said though, more is good, so I'd definitely buy an PC Wing + Extra Wing, rather than a maxi wing. With the PC Wing being £1500 and the Maxi Wing being £3000, I just don't see the double-price benefits myself.

+1 on the PC wing and Extra wing over the Maxi wing.

2x touch screens also allows a dedicated (read: much bigger!) space for the Execute window.

PC Wing, Extra Wing and 2x touch = astonishing functionality and value for money (imho)

Rather than a second screen, a second computer (ie an all in one with touch screen) then networking the 2 consoles is a slightly better approach. If the main machine were to fail for any reason, it's just a case of swapping the USB over an you're back in business in seconds.

My system is set up this way, I lost power to my main PC once, running 2 machines meant a) I could back up straight away on the second machine, and b) I just took the USB out of one and put it into the other, since the 2 wings are daisy chained. I was out of control for maybe 15 seconds and my buffers held DMX so you barely noticed it.

I know it's going to bring the cost up a bit, but it's a thought worth considering.

In the interests of exploring all possibilities, does anyone happen to know how much an ETC ION 1024 + 2x20 wing could be purchased for nowadays? I think it is way outside what we can afford but is one of the few consoles which will physically fit.

From your earlier post it would seem that an ETC Element would fulfil your requirements. You should be able to get the 250 channel/40 fader version with your budget (note that means 250 fixtures, not 250 DMX channels). We've had one for a few years now and use it for all types of show.

...and no encoders as well

But one of the first things you said in this thread was that you don't have any movers :huh:

But they do have LED's and mixing colours on those is easier with an encoder than a fader and far far easier than trying to use a keypad (I'm guessing ;) )

Archived