Chamsys MQ40 for theatre?

vinntec

But they do have LED's and mixing colours on those is easier with an encoder than a fader and far far easier than trying to use a keypad (I'm guessing ;) )

Absolutely (sorry I was travelling but back on terra firma now). So two snags - if you go back far enough you will see max width is 765 mm (Element is 836mm) which puts it on our stage! The lack of encoders we could probably live with, but mixing four colour LEDs much better on encoders (or nowadays fine tuning colour selection) and the Fat Frog we have now already has them so a backward step. However academic as it doesn't fit anyway otherwise I would certainly at least have asked for a quote.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To bring this discussion to a close, we have decided to go with an MQ60. We whittled down all the competition to two options: MQ60 or MagicQ + wings. It was a close run thing as clearly we could get more bang for our bucks going with MagicQ + wings. In the end when we considered all the possible users we might have to cater for, a desk + custom guides was by far the best option for our particular theatre.

Thanks to everyone to contributed their views and some of their secrets which have all been taken on board in coming to a conclusion that everyone at my theatre could live with.

Peter

• 3 months later...

James says running it upright is no problem. We had it standing up and James banged it on the table a few times to show it is rock solid. It is one PCB with everything (except power and UPS in case of MQ60) on it and disk is solid state so only moving parts are the controls on the desk.

Good lord, is Spatz still there?!

Alive and well - see link.

I dont think he will ever leave!! He's been there since day 1 !!

Excellent - and of course with the MQ60 you get MIDI....and thus a cheap way of getting extra playbacks.....

KC

This is infact how I do my most common show.. This year I'm on tour with a band, can be anything from 3 nights a month to 5 nights a week..

I tried to get everything down to 1 flightcase so I was trying to avoid taking the extrawing..

As most midi pads etc are usb these days... also having rubber pads rather than buttons so not so great for lableing or just more expensive than it should be for what I need it for, I built an arduino based midi box with 16 flash buttons (just activating/flashing the test of playbacks).

Has done me over 30 or so gigs now and working great, usb powered via the conesole.

Might make a howto page on it some day... I kept all the RS part numbers etc... First, I would however like to find a smaller project box to mount it in, as it is a little tall with a lot of extra space left inside.

Archived