Lee swatchbook

mark_s

I just picked up a new swatchbook today as my old one must be about half a decade old and missing a good 75% of the colours I was considering using for an upcoming production. There is no numerical index. Perhaps I'm just being a bit precious, but it's nigh on impossible to find things quickly now unless you don't know what you're looking for and want to peruse!

Why did Lee think that this would be a good idea?

I have the Designers Edition - the chromatic one - and the numerical index in the back no longer appears to be there. Seems a bit stupid, as now there's no quick way to find a specific colour other than by using the numerical version...

I have the Designers Edition - the chromatic one - and the numerical index in the back no longer appears to be there. Seems a bit stupid, as now there's no quick way to find a specific colour other than by using the numerical version...

I noticed this last time I had a batch of designer's editions sent over for student use. Bloody pain in the arse if you don't have something in stock and you want to find the closest equivalents.

There are some good apps or "A" good app out for droid. I did get a few years back some Lee books that were pocket books that were just listing colours and uses, handy in their own way.

I have been hunting the lee chinagraph swag for ages, not found any for ages so I guess they have stopped those :(

It's worth noting the website and various apps are quite good at giving you the nearest alternatives.

...but then when you want to actually look at the colour, you have no chance of ever finding it! That's how my problem came about - I was perusing the website and noticed a relatively new colour in the designer series that theoretically looks perfect for something I'm currently doing. Finding it in the swatchbook was really quite dull.

Any idea why they've actually removed the index? It took up less than ten pages and was far more useful than the five page explanation of how the filters are made and the explanation of HT filters that's at the other end and still there!

It's all very well saying use the website, then a numeric edition, but when you're sat in a control box next to the gel cabinet without internet or mobile phone coverage (of which I have come across plenty), the designer's editor with numeric listing comes in very useful!

It just seems to negate most of the point of the chromatic version, unless you're actually starting from scratch (and how many LDs do that - start a design and make absolutely no relation to their favourite Lee* colours when developing their ideas)? I'd quite often pick up a swatchbook and see what's similar to - for example - 711, which the Designers Edition is great at doing, but only if you can find 711 in the first place! Now it would seem the only method that doesn't involve flipping through blindly to find your initial colour is to look up alternatives on the website, and then find them in the numerical version!

That is ridiculous.

*other brands available

FYI - from the Australian distributor of Lee

Monday 17 February 2014

Hi Don,

Thank you for your email concerning Lee Lighting Filter Swatchbooks.

The current swatchbook has a “ Blue Pin” through it.

The Designer Version of this swatch no longer has a Numeric Index in the back of it as the Numeric Version of the Swatchbook has been reinstated again in its own right.

Best Regards

Geoff

Geoffrey Hamilton

Mediavision Australia

FYI - from the Australian distributor of Lee

Monday 17 February 2014

Hi Don,

Thank you for your email concerning Lee Lighting Filter Swatchbooks.

The current swatchbook has a " Blue Pin" through it.

The Designer Version of this swatch no longer has a Numeric Index in the back of it as the Numeric Version of the Swatchbook has been reinstated again in its own right.

Best Regards

Geoff

Geoffrey Hamilton

Mediavision Australia

That surely has to rank among the highest 'most unhelpful, stating the bleeding obvious' replies to a question ever!

Archived