Painting a multipurpose stage

HolyPhish

Hello Blueroomers

The stage at my college is currently requiring a new coat of paint and some TLC and we have a (small) budget to repaint it.

It is currently a 10 year old grey colour that was originally painted in the design of flagstones so without a huge expense we cannot return it to the orginial wood colouring.

The performing arts director would love it to be painted matt black.

I would love it to be painted matt black.

The maintanence team would like to paint it black.

However, with the theatre being used for conferences over the summer, there is an argument of not painting it black as it makes the venue a dedicated theatre style venue and not crisp and 'clean' for conferences.

The rest of the venue is painted in neutral stone/mushroom/not white colours to keep it fresh, this comes with the curse of grey-outs not black-outs but it does look good.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else got this situation and how did they approach it?

2) has anyone got any knowledge of someone painting behind the curtain one colour and in front another? Did it look good? what colours did they do?

3) is black the answer as it can look smart for conference? or should we go for another grey/neutral colour for conference and just live with it for theatre?

4) any suggestions?

Thank You

Dani

p.s. I'll try to get photos asap so you can see what we're dealing with

Could you go in a direction that works for both?

Keep it as it is and get black dance floor, or paint black and get an appropriate dance floor cover for it, charge the hire of the floor to the corporate events if they dont like the option.

Re question 2 what do you mean curtains?

Re question 2 what do you mean curtains?

My guess would be that they mean to paint the stage to the tab line and leave it as natural/grey for the rest. I have seen this done but you need a good straight edge to work to. I agree that as long as it's kept neat there shouldn't be a problem painting it black. If people want it different give them the carpet supplier's number!

I don't imagine that it's too big a floor.

dance floor is often white on one side and black on another.

paint is cheap and quick.

proper matt black shows loads of footprints.

dance floor is washable.

we have some panels that are maybe 750mm x 1000mm and are beech floor covering with tongue and groove.

you can cover a school sized stage in around 45 mins solo with practice.

http://www.bausenhardwoodflooring.co.uk/webapps/p/90676/257182/593188

probably not cheap

If you do go with black then find a brand and stick with it...otherwise when a little bit needs repainting you get patches of different coloured black everywhere. There's one venue in West London which specifies in the contract that only Leyland Matt Black paint can be used

I only buy Flints black paint, as you can no longer buy Bollom black paint.

It is properly black, properly matt and will obliterate everything you are painting over.

Other manufacturers black paint is not actually black.

The other advantage of paint over dance floor is that paint takes up less storage space.

Keep it as it is and get black dance floor...

Don't do this, as it would prevent you from screwing to the floor, a fairly basic requirement of theatre shows.

Does depend on what the base material is, or how thick that top material is.

I only buy Flints black paint, as you can no longer buy Bollom black paint.

It is properly black, properly matt and will obliterate everything you are painting over.

Other manufacturers black paint is not actually black.

The other advantage of paint over dance floor is that paint takes up less storage space.

+1 for flints, dulux is closer to a super deep blue.

When paint was mixed by the gizmo that squirts a bit of this and a bit of that, you could see what was in certain colours - and the binders and stabilisers they use are often grey, yellow and white in colour. So even though they're not in any great quantity in black, there's still colour other than black in the black!

Archived