Flightcase Posting - Which courier

STCM_Tech

Hey Guy

Our Mixing desk has to go to get repaired, Its in a flight case. Parcel Force won't take it. Who have you used before?

Thanks

I've used Parcelforce a fair number of times for some pretty big cases. Is the case wheeled? if not try a wheeled board attached to it.

Alternately Tuffnals do big items. You doula also try parcels 2 go and enter the details, they'll then give you a list of couriers who will carry it.

Be warned that couriers treat a flight case as "packaging" and will not pay out if they damage it. However if you wrap the flight case in cardboard then the flight case becomes part of the contents. Strange but true.

(Source: bad experiences with TNT and Amtrak)

Be warned that couriers treat a flight case as "packaging" and will not pay out if they damage it. However if you wrap the flight case in cardboard then the flight case becomes part of the contents. Strange but true.

(Source: bad experiences with TNT and Amtrak)

Good tip, never thought of it that way

Have you asked the people doing the repair who they use? They have probably had this situation before and may well have a solution.

And they'll certainly have the problem when it's time to ship it back to you. Unless they make it your problem.

There is only ever ONE person to move the 'parcel' - the driver, so if it is too big to be handled easily by this person, then drop damage can easily occur.

Flight cases do seem to be regarded by most delivery companies as affording the contents total protection - so rough handling won't cause any problems. Oh heck.......

Cheers for the help. I put this post up as parcel force came and said it was too big. I then asked TNT and said they would send a driver and if he didn't mind taking it then that was fine. The TNT driver said " Parcelforce are weak" and took the flight case no problem.

From the Parcelforce website...

Size and weight restrictions

The maximum size and weight limits for sending items within the UK are as follows:

Maximum weight: 30kg

Maximum length: 1.5 metres

Maximum combined length and girth of 3 metres

• 1 month later...

Words of Caution.

If you use TNT then this may be useful in making decisions.

Sent two flight cases via TNT on Thursday. Value of contents £1500. Offered additional insurance for £75, which I rejected as flight cases are normally pretty safe ways of transporting equipment.

Client receives two cases containing smashed lights - photos supplied show that the base units have been really mangled. I suspect they probably fell off the tail board.

Maximum claim value as I rejected the insurance is £50, and to make it even worse, this is wiped out by the return carriage.

When I spoke to them on the phone they did tell me I rejected the insurance 3 times - which on processing the return, is indeed what happens - do you want it - No, later, are you sure - yes, then the final agreement to the transaction with NO insurance.

I have always taken the view that insurance was for expensive kit in cardboard, or dodgy to transport, fragile stuff - not big lights in heavy cases.

I was very wrong it seems.

I wonder if I can salvage anything from this? I did think about a County Court action, but frankly the judge would no doubt consider not taking it a weak spot in my case - although it seems that TNT don't actually have to take care of your stuff at all - the charge is just to get it to the destination. Intact costs extra!

Oh dear. Had exactly the same experience with TNT, see my post #3.

You won't get anywhere with them legally, they have a fairly high powered legal dept... can't think why...

Even if you had taken the insurance, you would have had a struggle getting them to pay out. Had that experience too on a different occasion - they rejected the claim about 5 times for various spurious reasons and eventually only paid out a small part of the value.

Archived