VGA to Composite

djmatthill

Im looking for a near broadcast quality (SD) device that converts VGA to composite signal.

I have tried various offerings from various manufacturers and quality is always OK to average.

Can anyone recommend a device they have actually used and got great results from ?

Need High Quality SD !

Any Suggestions please?

Matt

Back in the day the Sony 1024 was the default scan converter along with the (Barco) Folsom Image Pro.

There are 1024's on eBay, but ImagePRO's are a lot less common.

As others have said, Kramer or Extron would be a good bet for new purchases.

The Kramer VP501 is very good.

The Sony 1024's are all getting a bit tired nowadays.

Cheers,

Peter

They might be tired, but as Kit says, you're only heading to composite land, so it'll look naff what ever you do really.

If you require a composite feed for whatever reason you will get a noticeably better picture using the Kramer unit than a 1024.

Cheers,

Peter

I was going to say it's been years since we down converted down to CV, but then remembered the OB truck wanted a confidence feed on live screens job back in December: they got HD-SDI -> CV via an ImagePRO-II so it's been a goodly while since I've seen the output of a 1024 or Kramer product.

I was going to say it's been years since we down converted down to CV, but then remembered the OB truck wanted a confidence feed on live screens job back in December: they got HD-SDI -> CV via an ImagePRO-II so it's been a goodly while since I've seen the output of a 1024 or Kramer product.

Can't beat composite for its ability to make it along any old length of old cable and coming out at the other end reasonably intact! 99% of my work is now done using some variety of SDI but there are still occasions when the sheer stubbornness of composite gets you out of trouble.

The 1024's are a funny old thing, they all seem to have drifted way out of spec in the last couple of years.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for all of your replies so far .. Looks like Ill have to look on ebay :)

Im playing a lot of Music videos during my sets as a DJ and need a solution to plug in to the venues TV screens.

At the moment I`m plugging an old CYP Vga to Composite converter which then outputs to a video modulator feeding the Plasma TVs.

The Only cables running to the Tvs is coax and running new cables is not feasible at the minute.

My main issue is that the signal from the CYP box is grainy and not particularly sharp. Iv also tried using another vga to comp.

converter (Kworld PC to TV) and get similar results. The Sky Box and DVD player also connected to the same modulator and quality they output is far superior to my laptop feeds so I know that that both coax and Modulator are up to the job and adequate for the time being.

I have also tried connecting both VGA to Composite. converters directly in to my TV at home (no mod.) and even when connected directly to quality is still poor ...??

The week link in the chain does seem to be the VGA to comp. converters Im using .... The VGA output from laptop is perfect when connected to projector / ext. monitor.

What to do ??

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your replies so far .. Looks like Ill have to look on ebay :)

Im playing a lot of Music videos during my sets as a DJ and need a solution to plug in to the venues TV screens.

At the moment I`m plugging an old CYP Vga to Composite converter which then outputs to a video modulator feeding the Plasma TVs.

The Only cables running to the Tvs is coax and running new cables is not feasible at the minute.

My main issue is that the signal from the CYP box is grainy and not particularly sharp. Iv also tried using another vga to comp.

converter (Kworld PC to TV) and get similar results. The Sky Box and DVD player also connected to the same modulator and quality they output is far superior to my laptop feeds so I know that that both coax and Modulator are up to the job and adequate for the time being.

I have also tried connecting both VGA to Composite. converters directly in to my TV at home (no mod.) and even when connected directly to quality is still poor ...??

The week link in the chain does seem to be the VGA to comp. converters Im using .... The VGA output from laptop is perfect when connected to projector / ext. monitor.

What to do ??

Matt

Any more suggestions on what I could do / check to improve quality ?

BUMP x

Let's be realistic here; you are converting a high resolution signal to a low resolution signal. There is only so much you can do. If you need higher resolution then you need to upgrade the rest of the system. If you can't. . Then you can't.

Hi Dave

I know what you re saying and do agree , my only issue is that both DVD player and SD Sky box output better quality feeds.

For years we were happy with the quality of SD TV broadcasts and that is the type of quality I`m after TBH.

I was hoping that since my source output was 1024 x 768 that getting a decent SD picture would be a doddle :** laughs out loud **:

Really frustrating

Matt

Archived