extending kodak 35mm slide remotes

gnomatron

Hi! I need to extend the remote switches on 3 kodak 35mm projectors. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I want to make something tourable, and ideally something that ends up using an off the shelf connector - so adapt them to use a 5pin XLR or something, so I can easily add extensions to suit the size of space. I've also thought about making a midi or DMX controllable box that all three run back to, so they can be cued into the show.

CPE in Glasgow used to have Kodak projectors with long remote cables - I remember coming across some at a show but that must have been ~15yrs ago. My very hazy recollection is that the projectors used a din style connector - can't remember how many pins - and the extension cables were just made up male-female to suit. You can still source DIN connectors of all breeds fairly readily if you want to make up your own.

My only concern with using something like 5 pin XLR is the possibility of inadvertently introducing some voltage to a dimmer or desk if somebody mispatches something. (I have no idea what is actually carried on the remotes, mind you, although plenty people have been surprised in the past by smoke machines which carried 240v up very flimsy connectors for their remote controls)

From memory (it's been a long time!) it's either a 5 pin "domino" DIN connector or a 6 pin connector - 5 outers in a 240 degree pattern, with 1 centre. This gives control of slide chant forward and back, and focus. About 20V on the pins.

Googling for a manual suggests that Kodak say it can be extended up to 24m, although I've seen it done over much longer distances.

From memory (it's been a long time!) it's either a 5 pin "domino" DIN connector or a 6 pin connector - 5 outers in a 240 degree pattern, with 1 centre. This gives control of slide chant forward and back, and focus. About 20V on the pins.

Googling for a manual suggests that Kodak say it can be extended up to 24m, although I've seen it done over much longer distances.

It is a 6-pin DIN 45322 connector, like this http://shop.griederbauteile.ch/en/info/s/Stecker.S6.jpg

Pinout:

1 - Slide reverse

2 - Slide forward

3 - V+

4 & 5 - Focus control

6 - V-

A Kodak SAV projector a 6 pin din with a centre pin, from memory there is slide advace and retard plus the forward and revers drive to the focus motor. With a bit of meterwork its a simple matter of working out which pin is the common and which other 2 are forward and back for the slides. its at least 20v on the common pin, but its definitely not mains. The easiest thing to do is take the back off the hand remote and then simply cut through the cable and repair it with a male and female xlr3 ignoring the focus control cables. That way a mic lead is all you need to extend the remote. Ive modified and used such things in the past and im sure that we have used 50 if not 100m of cable and it works.

aha my reply made slightly redundant by the one composing at the same time with the accurate info above, but you still only need 3 pins so its either a matter of momentarily shorting 1 and 2 to the plus or minus.

Thanks for all the help guys! Sadly my notifications seem to be broken so I didn't see any of this helpful stuff until after I did my own googling/experiments.

They are indeed 6 pin din; Pin 3 is a common line, 1+3 is advance, 2+3 is go back, and the other 3 pins are for remote focus etc. It all runs at +24v.

As I only want advance/reverse, I've gone for using a 3-pin XLR to extend the lines. Audio kit's usually pretty resistant to voltage so the chance of damaging something is minimal, but I'll be careful! The advantage of this is that I can (hopefully...) run it down an audio multicore if I can't get a control position close enough to run directly. I've made a single switch & adapter pair, and my next step is a control box with 3 rocker switches. I'm gonna look into DMX relays as well, because why not?

from memory, I made a very basic unit that controlled 4 x projectors (NSEW) and they ran on a commoned auto controller (I think)

the auto controller was a matchbox sized thing with a knob that would move the slides on every few seconds/mins

Archived