Simplest way for Stereo Phono - Mono XLR

pete10uk

Just trying to connect some Clients existing audio kit.

We have a 2 zone mixer with 2 x stereo phono outs and an amp with 2 x mono XLR in's. this is 100v and is running 2 separate rooms. what I don't want is left in one room and right in another.

Is there a relatively cheap box to combine the unbalanced stereo signals and output it on mono balanced XLR correctly? or am I using a number of different boxes together or stereo phono combiner and fudging the balanced signal?

I can't make my mind up on the easiest / most reliable way, a single box (per zone) to do it all would be my preference.

Any ideas?

As long as your only playing music or a mic or something, nothing that relies on panning then the left and the right signal should be the same so of you have one side going into one room and the other side into the other each side will still get the same audio just one will be left and one will be right! But as long as there's ok panning going on then the signal should be the same.

I would build a cable to sum left and right via resistors (1k ish?? - check the Rane notes) and put them into a passive DI box or transformer, then Y-split the output from this box and go into the 2 inputs.

Do you need a line level, or a mic level output from the converter box? All (that I have seen) of the DI boxes output mic level.

David

As long as your only playing music or a mic or something, nothing that relies on panning then the left and the right signal should be the same so of you have one side going into one room and the other side into the other each side will still get the same audio just one will be left and one will be right! But as long as there's ok panning going on then the signal should be the same.

Thanks for the reply.

The mixer doesn't have any panning functions so left would be in one room and right in another, that’s not really an issue until someone turns up with a video with the music and voice over on separate channels, which has bitten me in the past.

I would build a cable to sum left and right via resistors (1k ish?? - check the Rane notes) and put them into a passive DI box or transformer, then Y-split the output from this box and go into the 2 inputs.

Do you need a line level, or a mic level output from the converter box? All (that I have seen) of the DI boxes output mic level.

David

Thanks david,

I have seen a stereo phono to mono phono combiner, which is what I would expect the resistor cable to do, but then I would need to pop it through a DI box as well, which is the part I'm ideally wanting to avoid.

This is mainly because the customer meddles and with different boxes and leads, the temptation to mess would be impossible avoid, if it were all in one box at least they couldn’t get it terribly wrong.

It may be that this is the only option.

You don't need a DI box then, just run it unbalanced (connect tip of phono to pin 2 on the XLR and sleeve of phono to pin 3)

Surely it should be sleeve to pin 1?

Let's not start all that again... you'd maybe need to link 3 and 1 if you did it that way.

1391776541[/url]' post='492445']

You don't need a DI box then, just run it unbalanced (connect tip of phono to pin 2 on the XLR and sleeve of phono to pin 3)

Surely it should be sleeve to pin 1?

No, it should be a shielded twisted pair cable wired with phono tip to pin 2, sleeve to pin 3. Pin 1 of the XLR goes to shield.

See Rane note 110 and scroll down to figure 17.

Mac

Archived