LED Advice

andyjw

Hi

I work with an am dram society on a small stage (19ft X 15ft). It is kitted out with lighting bars and dimmer packs, and we have CCT Minuette luminares. There is nothing wrong with them yet but they arent young so we would like to start and look at alternatives before we get problems.

I would like to use LED, both from the power consumption and heat generation standpoints, but Im not sure where to start. Someone in the group in the past has bought a few LED's but they are nowhere near good enough to replace any of the CCT units.

Any advice gratefully received. Any more info needed I can get it.

...There is nothing wrong with them yet but they arent young so we would like to start and look at alternatives before we get problems.

I would like to use LED...

The longer you can hang on in there, the better and cheaper LED products will continue to become.

Currently, LED luminaires that give comparable output to tungsten, are prohibitively expensive for most. For example, compare the price of an LED Source Four with a traditional Source Four! Green credentials aside, you can buy a lot of lamps and power a lot of lamp hours, before coming close to spending equal money.

And do not be seduced by the cheaper "LED fresnels" which are appearing on ebay and other places. They are very blue/white and not especially bright.

Some of the warm white LED par cans on Thomann are OK, except for steppy dimming when fading to black, and of course fixed beam size (which is usually too narrow to be useful for theatre).

I'd stick with your CCT minuettes, they are still very good fixtures for a small stage.

Stick with the Minuettes for now. In 3-4 years the LED world will have moved on with better whites, better light output and lower prices. Now is too soon to move to LED without a vast budget and compromised performance.

Archived