Quick release track

TomHoward

Evening all

I'm having one of those problems where I just can't find the terms for what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for some of that aluminium track, as used for securing flying eyes, or securing seats down in minibuses.

I'm hoping to make a few of our theatre seats more quickly removable for regular control & followspot positions and thinking this track on the bases may be a way to do it.

Thanks, Tom

As searching cargo track will find lots of places to check the progress of parcels but not many places to buy the ever useful metal track I can tell you that one manufacturer is Unwin.

http://www.unwin-safety.com/flooring-systems/9/rail-products

However, recessed boss plates are much easier for seats that need to be removable. Get inserts to fill the bolt holes when vacant and you remove any trip hazard or dust trap too.

I'll have a look at boss plates as well. At the moment there are M8 bolt plates that bolt through a ply top, I'd consider T-nuts but the bolts run too close to a metal crossmember to get them in on one side.

I had considered M8 threaded inserts as well, as used in furniture making, but I'm not sure what the pull-out strength would be, and if they're strong enough for mounting seating? There are 8 per seat (4 on each leg) so I might try it but a bit worried about them failing.

I suspect threaded inserts will not be tough enough and will pull out or spin out at an inconvenient moment. They don't really cope with repeated use in my experience.

Memfast make rivet nuts and other useful threaded insert gadgets. I've only used their products for metal, but they might do some useful bits for wood too?

If you are considering anything threaded, for god's sake, don't let people you don't trust 100% use impact drivers/podgers to do up the bolts- we had seats in one of my old venues that used long M10 bolts through a bar at the bottom of the seat into a boss plate screwed into the concrete floor...what should have happened is the bolt should have been done up finger tight, followed by a slight 'nipping up' with a spanner, however, the three main problems were:

(a) People over tightening the bolts so that the plates pulled up out of the floor

(b) People cross-threading the bolts but not necessarily realising it and carrying on regardless, thereby completely ruining the plate/bolt.

© Someone taking a seat out, not leaving the bolts with it, then the next person having to find some bolts to put it back in. Quite often the correct length could not be found, so bolts that were too long ended up being used, leading to the bolts 'bottoming out' in the hole below the plate, and forcing it upwards.

Ian

The seats in one of the big receiving houses near us are on quarter turn catches similar to the type you see attaching hook clamps to the bottom of movers. They're by no means a new addition though, probably been there years. The seats are in and out really regularly as their control position for sound is in the middle of the seating. Sadly I've no idea on manufacturer's name, but it's another easy method of fastening down seating.

I don't think you will find much better a solution than the Unwins that Hippy pictured. They can be recessed to fit flush or low-profile and were purpose designed for the purpose. They are strong enough to ratchet down heavily laden electric wheelchairs safely enough and spares are readily available.

Archived