Looking for a switched base for a gooseneck mic

Stuart91

I once helped refit a church that had been cleared out by thieves. Everything loose of any value had gone or been trashed, except the large eagle lecturn which had seemingly been moved about two feet before the thieves gave up.

These things are very heavy.

As to the OP - would a foot switch or separate switch mounted lower on the column be any good?

Or I bet Orchid could make a tabletop version of their mic mute that was the right dimensions for you.

I once helped refit a church that had been cleared out by thieves. Everything loose of any value had gone or been trashed, except the large eagle lecturn which had seemingly been moved about two feet before the thieves gave up.

As to the OP - would a foot switch or separate switch mounted lower on the column be any good?

Or I bet Orchid could make a tabletop version of their mic mute that was the right dimensions for you.

+1 to Orchid Electronics http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk

Yes, Orchid is a great possibility - I've used them before and been very happy with the results. Hadn't occurred to me on this occasion but I'll be dropping John an email.

Previously there was a pressure switch mounted on the small platform behind the lectern but that wasn't a success. We also tried an infra-red gating mic but that was rejected too. Part of the problem is that there are occasions when someone stands behind the lectern but doesn't want to go through the PA, so a manual switch is best. I think having a bright LED staring the people in the face is going to be the most idiot-proof solution. Mounting something further down the column would be tricky to do neatly because it's round all the way.

These days, I'd expect the scrap value of all the brass would be enough to encourage the thieves to greater efforts. I once lifted the top half of one up a ladder (fireman's lift style) and it was not a fun experience.

Howzabout a standard, round, non-switched gooseneck base, with an "in-line" switch? The only ones I can find today are like a XLR M-F barrell with a switch on the side, but there used to be a variant that looked like the switch on an Elvis mic. Not seen one with an LED, but there is always a bit of a challenge needed :)

Archived