Looking for a switched base for a gooseneck mic

Stuart91

I've got an installation client who is looking to mount a gooseneck mic on their lectern. There is limited space on the bookboard, we reckon there is 10cm left to play with, and any overhang is going to look horrible so has to be avoided. The mic will be used by a wide variety of non-experts, and the PA system will be left largely unattended, so the best option is going to be a solid bas with a switch.

I had been looking at the AT8666RSP which would have been perfect for the job apart from being ~3cm too long. The client particularly liked the LED indicator switch, so users have confidence that the mic is on.

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/resources/medium/medium_8088c9dba1714e81_at8666rsp.jpg

I'll commence a trawl of other manufacturers' catalogues but wondered if anyone knows of a good, compact base with the right features?

Not sure if that would work. The lectern is metal, with a wooden board of roughly 18mm ply laid on top. If I'm reading the spec sheet right, it requires a through-hole for the XLR connector?

I suppose one option would be to mount it on a block of wood, and route out a groove for the cable to come out through. But I'd worry that it'll end up looking like a bit of a bodge.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sideways would work, but I can't see the customer agreeing to it as it would look a bit funny. Plus the button would no longer be staring the people in the face, and it needs to be really, really obvious to them.

I don't think there's any way of mounting the base underneath the bookboard, it's a solid lump of metal but fairly thin and there are no holes in it that we could poke a gooseneck through.

It's a traditional eagle lectern, which looks a bit like this:

4935_0.jpg

It's dead easy to build your own. Just a project box from CPC, a panel mount XLR and a nice big button.

The Pro Co ones are 1mm too deep for your needs, but check them out anyway. On the data sheets there's a simple wiring diagram for all of their products which might help you out building your own.

http://www.procosound.com/interface-devices/switching-devices

With that style of lectern, could you make a new wooden bookboard to rest on the metal lecturn, hollow and thick enough for the wiring etc to go inside the bookboard. Cable connector on the side or base edge, gooseneck on the top edge, and switch on the front face or even use a duckbill toggle switch on a side edge if you want to keep the face clear.

That puts every lectern I've ever seen to shame. If only more conferences had a requirement sheet that read like this...

1 x 16 x 9 back projection screen

1 x comfort monitor with surround

1 x 10k HD projector

1 x solid gold column lectern, with 3 animals feet, 'eagle style'

It would make conferences much more fun!

Merry Christmas - Dicky :** laughs out loud **:

Archived