Steeldeck castors for truck

agermich

Hi All

I need to build a fairly large truck for an upcoming production and the quickest option will be a steeldeck platform as we don't have the time or space to build a timber structure in advance. I don't want to use scaffold castors as they will make the platform too high and are noisy and they protrude beyond the deck frame so aren't really suitable. Steeldeck do a swivel castor that works in exactly the right way (see this video:

) but our truck needs to move as easily as possible up and downstage in a very straight line so I would much prefer to get fixed castors. Does anyone know of the whereabouts of some similar deck castors but with fixed wheels? I have sent an email to steeldeck hires so hopefully they will let me know if they have anything. I do have the option of making some but by the time I've brought the castors and metal and paid someone to do the cutting and welding I'm sure that it would be cheaper to hire.

Cheers

Mike

I have used screwfix nylon wheels before, the swivels come to about 10-12cm not sure which, these fit fine and give clearance with metrodeck when screwed in to the timber, perhaps screw in an extra pad of 3/4inch between the the wheels and deck - job done.

Is it possible to put 2 longer bolts in so that they "foul" the swivel. If you look at 1:02 it appears that the bolt would extend nicely into the curve of the bit holding the wheel and stop it swivelling.

Dave

Mike

I'd be concerned with a fixed castor that the truck will start running off line after a while (or sooner perhaps). Can you go with the swivel and have a guide rail of some sort, preferably a slot in the floor with a blade attached to the truck running in it?

Castors are usually a standard base size/bolt configuration (something like 80mm square) so you should just be able to take some of the parts in the video, unbolt the swivel castor and bolt a fixed castor on.

If you wanted to avoid the tracking off line you could always put fixed castors downstage and swivel castors upstage so it can be 'tracked' in a straight line easily but also steered if need be.

I have done trucks with scene shifters and a blade running in the floor before, and I agree that it works well - unfortunately I won't be able to cut into the floor in this venue and laying an extra 18mm floor might be a step too far with the short fit-up time. I might go down the route of screwing in a guide, or even a guide with a slot cut in for a blade. I like the suggestion of putting fixed casters downstage and swivel upstage. If I can get those wheels from steeldeck hire I might try and pick one up early so that I can hunt through everyone I knows castor stock and try to find enough fixed casters that fit for the downstage edge.

I have done a big truck move up and down stage without guides in the floor using 2 electric truck winches running at the same speed sitting far upstage, attached to each end of the steel deck. When moving upstage, we just ran the winches in. When moving downstage, we ran them out with 2 stagehands pushing the steel deck 'truck', obviously speed and direction being controlledmby th winches. Doig it this way you dont really need the guides in the floor, providing the winches are running at the same speed. We used swivel castors so if it did end up slightly off course it could easily correct itself. It could probably be done with 2 manual truck winches, if the stagehands operating can regulate their speed... Maybe use a click track in comms, or have somebody on comms calling timings and adjustments from a position where they can observe the truck alignment? Be inventive. You may be able to find a truck winch that can accept 2 ropes, and then use pulleys / diverters so you can run off a single winch, saving the need to regulate the speed. Its worth calling flints as they have a lot of this kit in stock as part of their temporary counterweight system. I'm not sure if they have truck winches for hire. Remember to hire weight too as if you can't fix to the floor you'll need to ballast it a fair bit. Maybe this is a somewhat over engineered solution for what you want but it could work or could be useful to somebody else...

Archived