Drive wheel/Collets...

Ynot

OK, this is one of those 'What the hell is it called' questions.

Simple requirements, but can't as yet find the bits I'm looking for.

Item #1 - I need a small (around 1.5 to 2 inch diam steel wheel with an 8mm I/D collar in the centre that I can slip onto the 8mm offset motor drive shank and then bolt onto a custom (3D printed) drive wheel.

The custom wheel does have a 8mm hole in it but sadly the torque of the motor against a resistive load was too much and it's damaged it. Hence I need to add the metal collar option to give the whole thing more strength to drive the piece.

For those old enough to recall the happy days of Meccano sets, they used to have many such wheels in their inventory, for doing very much what I'm aiming at, though sadly their shaft diameters were much less than 8mm.

Item #2 - I then need a couple of what I'm calling collets or collars - simple tubes (material not crucial as long as it's rigid) with an I/D to fit over an M10 bolt and O/D a max of 12/13mm. Length of the collet max of about 1 to 1.5 inches.

But can I find what I want? As is often the case, these things usually have a name that has as yet not occurred to me during my Googling and paging through paper catalogues...

OK, this is one of those 'What the hell is it called' questions.

Simple requirements, but can't as yet find the bits I'm looking for.

Item #1 - I need a small (around 1.5 to 2 inch diam steel wheel with an 8mm I/D collar in the centre that I can slip onto the 8mm offset motor drive shank and then bolt onto a custom (3D printed) drive wheel.

The custom wheel does have a 8mm hole in it but sadly the torque of the motor against a resistive load was too much and it's damaged it. Hence I need to add the metal collar option to give the whole thing more strength to drive the piece.

For those old enough to recall the happy days of Meccano sets, they used to have many such wheels in their inventory, for doing very much what I'm aiming at, though sadly their shaft diameters were much less than 8mm.

Item #2 - I then need a couple of what I'm calling collets or collars - simple tubes (material not crucial as long as it's rigid) with an I/D to fit over an M10 bolt and O/D a max of 12/13mm. Length of the collet max of about 1 to 1.5 inches.

But can I find what I want? As is often the case, these things usually have a name that has as yet not occurred to me during my Googling and paging through paper catalogues...

You might google "microbore pipe" for the tubes if copper or pvc is strong enough. A plumbing fitting such as a tank connector might serve as the flange/collar you want too

Dave

Yeah - I'd considered using offcuts of piping but haven't as yet found any of quite the right size to fit the M10 set screw/bolt - wa have all sorts of bits around the theatre, but nothing suitable as yet.

Plumbing fittings aren't going to hack it for the flange/collar bit though - there's the chance of there being quite a lot of torque stress if anything gets stuck, or over-resistive to movement (possible for a mobile set piece) and the last thing I need is for it to strip another part with the drive shaft.

Rapid have a few gears and pulleys, plastics seem to be in the 2- 4 mm bore range though, 8mm collars

http://www.rapidonline.com/Education/Aluminium-Clamping-Ring-8mm-Pk2-50-8165

8mm implies reasonable amont of torque available from motor,, mebbe metal gearing

http://www.technobotsonline.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=189

tube that fits spec , very thin wall

http://www.technobotsonline.com/brass-tube-11.1-dia-x-305mm-long.html

My thoughts too.

The collet is trivial to knock up on a lathe, and a box of beer may be all it takes. The first item a bit harder, but a flat square plate with four holes in the corners mig welded to a shaft would be fairly easy to do by the aforementioned beer-induced metal basher.

Archived