And today's Darwin Award contestant is...

scjb

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF!

Even if the audience hadn't 'parted' people would have been killed or seriously injured. And who on earth at the rigging company decided it was a good idea to leave the ladder down? Someone on the production side deserves to go to jail for this.

So he is- Vans warped tour is prodominemtly a pop-punk show, I didnt notice it was the novelty rap act just presumed it was some pop punk kids I hadnt heard of.

WIth that in mind I retract my comment about toddler reigns and replace it with dog leads.

Gary Glitter fell off the Glasgow Apollo`s 15` high stage some years ago, the crowd parted and he broke his leg.

Apart from stowing the ladder , not sure what else production could have done, mebbe was left down for a refocus during acts or something?

If you were FOH at the desk, what would you have done?

Gary Glitter fell off the Glasgow Apollo`s 15` high stage some years ago, the crowd parted and he broke his leg.

Apart from stowing the ladder , not sure what else production could have done, mebbe was left down for a refocus during acts or something?

If you were FOH at the desk, what would you have done?

FOH, what could you do. If you were sidestage that's a bit more difficult, presumably when he got onto the ladder nobody imagined he would climb all the way into the rig.

Artists don't take kindly to being stopped from showing off, I was once doing a show with stage-stacked PA and the lead singer climbed onto the top of the stacks (only about 8ft), then got scared and was unable to get down again and had to be rescued with a ladder while the audience laughed at him.

Holy. Sh*t. That's unbelivable... I wonder if he was under the influence of any susbstance that made that seem like a good idea...?

Dunno what I would have done if I were @ FOH - probably not much you can do to be honest other than wait it out. Maybe kill the PA and the LX movements? Make it seem like the show is over and try to give him the idea to come down??

He could also get a shock from the Health and Safety Executive as it was heavily videos on youtube. I'd expect a hefty fine, and compensation. So many of their rules broken that had it been a member of the crew who went up there without the protective equipment, they'd probably end up banned from future tours. The potential for actual bodily harm charges by the Police are possible too, and as he's effectively pleaded guilty, his next work visa could be opposed too. A person deciding to drop 12m onto people made a decision to potentially kill the people he landed on. Him landing on concrete would have killed him, so he dropped onto people on purpose? Does insurance actually pay out when the insured acts in this way, or is it a get-out clause?

Does insurance actually pay out when the insured acts in this way, or is it a get-out clause?

I'd imagine that it'd be hard to get a policy to cover stupidity of this magnitude. If it does exist, I imagine it'll be only marginally more expensive than paying claims directly. Hopefully the girl with the broken arm is going to have a speedy recovery and won't have any adverse effect on her work or career, bar a few weeks off. But imagine the worst case scenario (from a financial point of view); if we were to land on a Premiership footballer, break their leg, and end their career. Imagine the payout that would be required to settle that. A policy that could satisfy all the risks from talent doing idiotic or dangerous things.

Whatever insurance the tour was carrying may well pay out to the injured girl, and then sue the rapper to recover the funds.

It would be good to see a proper post event assessment of this, with proper learning outcomes, a lá RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Board) style, carried out. I'd be interested to know exactly who the HSE would/could come after, and exactly where the buck stops, not just Blueroom speculation (and no offence meant), so those of us that work on stuff like this can make sure we learn the lessons.

Archived