Basic Lighting Layout

ken3591

Hi, I am civil engineering student currently undertaking the design of an aluminium truss lighting rig and am hoping someone here can help me. My question is, I would like a basic rig layout to base my design on but am having trouble finding anything online or in the library. My overall dimensions are 18m x 14m. I had initially planned to subdivide this area into a 3.5mx7m truss grid but feel that I should research lighting rig layouts to find something more suitable. Thanks!

More info needed....

Are you looking for a rig that has a handful of small spotlights for art all around the perimeter? A theatre rig for a play? A rig with a number of moving lights for a concert? A rig with a large heavy LED screen hung off one side?

It might be worth finding a tutor or a student (if you have them at your uni) from the tech theatre/ entertainment side of things and buy them a coffee/beer and sit down for a chat??

David

Basically I'm involved in designing a concert stage to be constructed in a stadium. I have to design the lighting rig which is supported by the arch roof. The point of the exercise is to improve my structural design of aluminium and so the actual layout is just to have something to start from . im planning on assuming that the worst case loading will be 25kg, 500mm wide lights side by side on all of the trusses. As I said, I had initially planned to do a grid, I'm now thinking of having one large truss system which does the full the 18mx14m perimeter and then a smaller truss system within that, possibly supported above or below. Is there anywhere online I could see some examples of large lighting rigs?

Many moving lights are more than 25kg, especially at arena scale. Don't forget large point loads for speaker hangs, often in excess of 300kg, and often requiring a line behind for anti rotation and tilt.

Truss chairs for spot ops and dynamic load allowance for operators to climb and walk the truss are also important on arena size events.

Don't forget the cable will have a weight too, with a significant point load where it falls off the truss to dimmer land.

Basically I'm involved in designing a concert stage to be constructed in a stadium. I have to design the lighting rig which is supported by the arch roof. The point of the exercise is to improve my structural design of aluminium ..

So are you designing the trussing itself or designing a truss layout using commercially available truss? If the first, surely a place to start looking is at the design of the various aluminium structures used for Temporary Demountable Structures. If the latter, you are presumably well placed to do all the load calcs for the arch roof and everything from it but are less familiar with usage of such systems. In that case you are probably struggling to find information on what needs to be where, without having a pre-designed truss layout already put together for you (by the rigging designers of, say, Eurovision).

I think the issue here is that you don't know what you don't know. Without simply copying an existing layout, you need someone to design a lighting, sound, vision, scenic requirement for you to design a hanging system for within a given environment. And don't forget that some design decisions made by lighting, sound , etc. are based on the availability of structure for them to use. A bit chicken and egg.

Basically I'm involved in designing a concert stage to be constructed in a stadium. I have to design the lighting rig which is supported by the arch roof. The point of the exercise is to improve my structural design of aluminium ..

So are you designing the trussing itself or designing a truss layout using commercially available truss? If the first, surely a place to start looking is at the design of the various aluminium structures used for Temporary Demountable Structures. If the latter, you are presumably well placed to do all the load calcs for the arch roof and everything from it but are less familiar with usage of such systems. In that case you are probably struggling to find information on what needs to be where, without having a pre-designed truss layout already put together for you (by the rigging designers of, say, Eurovision).

I think the issue here is that you don't know what you don't know. Without simply copying an existing layout, you need someone to design a lighting, sound, vision, scenic requirement for you to design a hanging system for within a given environment. And don't forget that some design decisions made by lighting, sound , etc. are based on the availability of structure for them to use. A bit chicken and egg.

That's basically right, its part of a bigger project, this is just one bit. I'll be designing the aluminium truss from scratch, which is fine, I can do that. it's the layout of the lights and a result the trusses that's the problem and, as you say, I dont have any knowledge regarding where lights etc should be placed. I had a look on that eurovision site and was unable to find any plans. the layout I am thinking of going for is a 18mx14m rectangular outer truss system and within that, supported separately, a 7mx9m rectangular inner truss system. Would this sort of layout be suitable for above a concert stage? As I say it is by no means the most important part of the project, but it is important that I've used a layout which is reasonably sensible.

Archived