LED Standardisation

DZA Technical

Hello!

This week I am going to build a multi-out RGB LED PSU/Driver in a 3U rack. This is for controlling custom projects, usually in LED Tape.

I already have the 1000W 24V PSU identified and 2 HD DMX Drivers (9 way units).

But the question I have for you all is about cable protocol - As far as I can tell everyone seems to be currently doing something different - 5/6/7 pin XLR, Wago, Binder connections etc etc...

I don't rate RGBW, so I'll be sticking with W or RGB tape for now.

Because I only need 4 ways I am thinking of using NL4...

Reasons:

• Cost effective connector
  • Lots of people keep NL4 leads in stock, so sub-hires are easy
  • Could utilise NL4 breakouts and send ways over socas...
  • Much easier to make up than soldering XLR etc.

Thoughts...?

I personally use 4 Pin XLR. It's compact, doesn't need couplers and is good for 50V.

If I'm honest I didn't consider Speakon but thinking about it, it isn't such a bad way to go! Already plenty of cable and it's quite thick for high current runs.

Josh

My only thought is that people expect either and amp or speaker on the end of a length of NL4, and as such there could be a small risk of getting things confused, and people miss plugging things.

Something like XLR4 isn't generally found on a stage (Comms packs headsets aside) so is less likely to get wrongly plugged.

Just a thought...

I use XLR4 because you are unlikely to come across it in an installation. You are much more likely to come across NL4. To be honest soldering XLR4's should not be an issue - if you can solder the LED tape then XLRs are a doddle. You don't want any possibility of cross plugging with multis so why would you use their connector?

A 1000W 24V PSU? That's going to deliver quite a bit of current (more than 40A at 24V). Having such a beefy supply is not only putting all your eggs in the one basket, but also risking serious damage to drivers if they get even the slightest short circuit. Maybe better splitting it amongst more than one PSU and also ensuring you use proper fusing to prevent the risk of smoke and flames if a short circuit does occur.

24V with 6 LEDs and a resistor in series, very common, double the voltage = half the current = twice the length of tape and less V drop problems on cables.

5V more common on `pixel` tapes but wouldn`t call it convenient.

would second Clive`s comment about low voltages and very high available currents, current across multiple PSUs at mains would be negligible.

Fair cop; I only really use pixel tape, which is generally 5V. The only piece of non-pixel tape I have is in my kitchen, and that, despite being 12V, is definitely one LED per resistor, and the tape can be cut at any point. Thus given my very limited exposure to this type of tape, I'm happy to go with your assertion that tape with LEDs in series is common.

The "pro" RGB tapes tend to be 24V to allow much longer runs for a given track current capability.

Most generic RGB tape is 12V, often with the 5050 LEDs which contain separate R, G and B chips and have six pins to allow series connection of three in series. It can usually be cut in multiples of three LEDs/resistors.

Some single colour tape is just the RGB stuff but with three identical colour chips in the same package. If your tape can be cut with a resolution of one LED/resistor and it uses the square six pin LEDs, then it's most likely that the three chips in each LED are wired in series for efficiency on a 12V supply.

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/av21081/speaker-socket-in-line/dp/AV21081

Admittedly not from Neutrik, but still.

That is handy and at a competitive price, XLR 3,4 & 5 are reasonably priced, XLR6 becomes expensive cabling quick.

Edit to add, Neutrik do a line pair as STX series Speakon, guess they mate with other Speakon?

http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nl4tfx-bag/stx-speakon-female-in-line-black/dp/AV22106?crosssellid=AV22106&crosssell=true&in_merch=true&

Speakon and compatibles have advantage of being able to stuff thicker cables into them, V drop can be a problem with voltage driven LEDs.

Not sure about XLR4 with 4 core chunky cable being easy to subrent, what else uses the format?

Think we have suggested CB type mic plugs before, disadvantage not many line males- can cheat with glue lined heatshrink on a chassis plug. Or just saw some on ebay, dunno price, availabilty, quality.... :)

http://www.parts-express.com/images/products/standard/090-535_s.jpg

Archived