cable pass (for cables through walls)

richard

For fire rating, one of these on either side would work.

http://www.tradecounterdirect.com/product/fire-rated-access-panel-300x300mm-bf-single-panel_single-panel.html?gclid=CJaV-6nAx7oCFQjKtAodB0IAUQ

I can't comment on the sound proofing as they tend to be used to access the inside of walls, although the fire rating increases sound proofing. You can have them custom made for any size.

I am assuming that you are not planning on having a fire rating while the cables are in it, but when it is not being used?

Dom

RS used to offer some cable ducts for walls with filling bags of intumescant material. The ducts were fire retardant and the bags made them fire rated when in use.

For temporary use remember to select a duct large enough to pass the connectors through even when the duct is part full. Also keep a stock of the filler bags so that different cable fills can be sealed.

Added;

start here RS Stock No. 423-6124. A duct full of these is 4 hour rated. I don't know anyone who makes a fire rated AND acoustically rated unit.

There is a product, who's name I can't remember but I will find out, which provides a "hole" which is both fire and pressure rated, whether cables are in it or not.

I've just installed a couple to get fibre cables in and out of a data centre, which has to be both fire rated and relatively airtight, as there is a gas fire suppressant system installed, so in a fire situation the room has to be relatively leak-free.

It's quite a clever, but simple, design. There are 2 wall-plates, one for each side, with a round hole. These are interconnected by a "sleeve" made of fire retardant cloth - a bit like the sleeve on a coat. This is fixed to the 2 wall-plates, and one end can rotate to "twist" the cloth sleeve, which then tightens down round the cables.

Archived