Castor Wheel Requirements

Hi Guys,

I'm after some insight into what people want from castors in the industry? Is it simply a case of cost or do people genuinely care about build quality over price. The flight case and rigging manufacturers I have spoken to seem quite happy with the Chinese imported castors as they are the cheapest around and offer a decent performance? However, I am unsure as to how good these castors actually are as they do look a little rough around the edges! Would people pay a premium for a branded castor like Guitel or Tente or does cost over rule all?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have seen cheap Chinese cable trunks with castors that went "flat" when loaded with heavy cable and left to sit, or stacked. This is obviously less than ideal. I believe this is less likely to happen with, say, a Guitel castor?

By the way, is this market research? Welcome to the forum - as long as you are straight up with who you work for and what your intentions are, you'll fit in just fine. But if you have plans to try and turn every topic into a "buy my castors" and sneak surreptitious sales pitches in... best to quit while you're ahead :)

David

I have seen cheap Chinese cable trunks with castors that went "flat" when loaded with heavy cable and left to sit, or stacked. This is obviously less than ideal. I believe this is less likely to happen with, say, a Guitel castor?

By the way, is this market research? Welcome to the forum - as long as you are straight up with who you work for and what your intentions are, you'll fit in just fine. But if you have plans to try and turn every topic into a "buy my castors" and sneak surreptitious sales pitches in... best to quit while you're ahead :)

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, good to hear your thoughts! This is a market research task from a suppliers perspective, but I am simply after insight from end users as to what they look for... there will be no sales pitch coming so don't worry!

Josh

It is "horses for courses" mostly, Josh. Cheap castors will do for some applications but for others you want the best, smoothest running, most durable ones available. Don't forget stage trucks and rolling risers, locking castors and the many different uses they have in our game.

If you search the forum for "castors" we have had many topics over the years which might help short-circuit your research and will definitely give you a range of opinions. Have fun.

Probably not of too much interest to the OP, but for anybody who comes across this and is looking for a source, I've been very dissapointed with the Machine Mart ones. I'd never normally buy from there, but needed a set quick and they were the handiest place I could find. I think they're better described as skids than casters!

My annoyance is that even the nice Guitel castors eventually break up with time and hard use, but you can't source replacement wheels, so you end up replacing perfectly good and usable metal parts for no reason.

Plus... it is a lot quicker to undo one bolt rather than four :rolleyes:

Archived